first_imgShare:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window) Pixabay Stock Image.JAMESTOWN – New York State’s Public High School Athletic Association has announced that low and moderate risk winter sports can soon begin play.Low and moderate risk winter sports include bowling, gymnastics, indoor track and field, skiing and swimming and diving.The athletic association says those sports can start play as soon as November 30.However, activities deemed high risk have not yet been giving the green light. The group says they will continue to examine their feasibility, although, authorization from state officials is still needed.last_img read more


first_imgBy Dialogo February 10, 2011 Three kidnapped Mexicans and forty-four kidnapped Guatemalans being held in the Mexican state of Tamaulipas (in northeastern Mexico), near where seventy-two immigrants were massacred last year, were freed on 7 February, an official from the Secretariat of Defense told AFP. “We were carrying out a reconnaissance operation (…) when we observed the occupants of two vehicles acting suspiciously, and upon investigating, we managed to locate the people who were kidnapped,” explained the Defense Secretariat official, who asked to remain anonymous. The operation took place in Reynosa, on the border with the United States and located 147 km from San Fernando, a Tamaulipas community where seventy-two undocumented migrants were murdered at the end of August, allegedly by the Los Zetas cartel. One of the survivors of the massacre told the Mexican authorities that the drug traffickers kidnapped them when they were on their way to the United States, and when they failed to obtain ransom money, they tried to force them to join the cartel. When they refused, they were shot, and some also suffered torture. The state of Tamaulipas has been severely affected by conflicts among drug traffickers, who are expanding their sources of financing through kidnapping and extortion, among other crimes, according to the authorities. There has been a resurgence of violence in Tamaulipas since 2009, when the Gulf Cartel split from its armed wing, Los Zetas.last_img read more


first_imgSouth Korean shipbuilder Samsung Heavy Industries has agreed to pay a $75 million penalty as part of a settlement agreement reached with the U.S. Justice Department over bribery investigation related to a 2007 drillship construction involving Petrobras and drilling contractor Pride.“[Samsung Heavy Industries] has agreed to pay total penalties of more than $75 million to resolve the government’s investigation into violations of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) arising out of a scheme to pay millions of dollars in bribes to officials in Brazil,” the DOJ said last Friday.“Samsung Heavy Industries paid millions of dollars to a Brazilian intermediary, knowing that some of that money would be used to bribe high-level executives at Petrobras and obtain a lucrative shipbuilding contract,” said Assistant Attorney General Brian A. Benczkowski of the Justice Department’s Criminal Division.U.S. Attorney G. Zachary Terwilliger of the Eastern District of Virginia said that Samsung “caused millions of dollars in corrupt bribe payments to be paid to foreign officials to win business, upsetting what should have been a level playing field for other companies that followed the rules.”According to admissions by Samsung Heavy Industries, as shared by DOJ, beginning in 2007 and continuing until 2013, Samsung provided approximately $20 million in commission payments to a Brazilian intermediary, knowing that portions of the money would be paid as bribes to officials at oil company Petrobras.The bribes paid caused Samsung to secure improper business advantages, as Petrobras then entered into a drillship charter contract with Pride (now part of Valaris) to whom  Samsung Heavy Industries then sold the drillship for this contract.“Samsung Heavy Industries took actions in furtherance of the bribery conspiracy from its branch office located in the United States,” the DOJ said.Samsung and the DOJ also reached a three-year Deferred Prosecution Agreement. Upon successful completion, the DOJ will seek to dismiss the deferred charge, which relates to a drillship known as the “DS-5,” Samsung said. The rig in question, delivered in 2011, is now owned by Valaris, and is stacked without a contract in Spain.Commenting on the DOJ settlement Samsung Heavy CEO Joon Ou Nam said: “We deeply regret the company’s involvement in these events, which is contrary to our values and ethical standards,” “Many of the events described in our agreement happened more than a decade ago, and the individuals involved are no longer with the company. Over the past years, we have taken extensive steps, at our own initiative, to strengthen our anti-corruption compliance program to meet the highest standards of compliance and ethics.”last_img read more


first_imgThe Lakers, meanwhile, acquired Anthony Davis from the Pelicans last month in exchange for Brandon Ingram, Lonzo Ball, Josh Hart and three first-round picks. They’re also pursuing Kawhi Leonard and will have multiple roster spots to fill regardless of whether they land him.Los Angeles has reportedly inked Troy Daniels and Jared Dudley to deals over the last week. Burke was originally selected by the Jazz out of Michigan with the No. 9 pick in the 2013 draft. He played three years in Utah before he spent one season with the Wizards and joined the Knicks in 2017-18. Trey Burke, who has a place in SoCal, has long hinted about the possibility of Lakers’ interest when he was a Knick. No surprise Lakers are in mix for Burke this July, per source.— Marc Berman (@NYPost_Berman) July 4, 2019The 26-year-old began last season with the Knicks before he was sent to the Mavericks in late January as part of the Kristaps Porzingis trade. Burke averaged 10.9 points and 2.7 assists while shooting 35.2% from 3-point range in 58 total games in 2018-19.“It’s encouraging, I know what I can bring to this team and I know what type of player I am once given opportunity,” Burke told Mavs Moneyball in April. “That’s my job. To continue to stay ready and when my number is called, go out there and be aggressive. Play the style of basketball I’ve played my entire life.” Related News The Lakers have been linked to another free agent.Los Angeles is “in the mix” to sign point guard Trey Burke, according to a report from the New York Post, which cites an unidentified league source. NBA free agency rumors: Justin Holiday considering Lakers, Raptors, 6 others Kawhi Leonard free agency rumors: Star taking his time ‘before deciding the next move’ Kawhi Leonard free agency rumors: Lakers believe they’re ‘firmly in the lead’; Drake plans Raptors pitchlast_img read more


first_imgThe ball squirted free and Schneider capitalized for a 1-0 lead in the 50th minute. “I felt like we were hanging on,” Mocabee said. “I thought the few chances we did get were on counters. I felt like they were strong and they were wearing on us.” McDonald, on a rare 1-on-1 situation near the goal, sent a shot to the corner that South Hills goalie Danielle Steward dove for but couldn’t get. It appeared as though the game would reach overtime, but a brief volley around the Huskies’ goal produced a chance for Gilbert to send a header over Stewart, who was rendered defenseless on the play by having to gamble by coming out. McDonald scored two minutes later by breaking a 1-on-2 dilemma and sent a rocket that hit the goal post, went 2 feet inside the goal and bounced out. COVINA – Freshman Nicole Gilbert scored on a header in the 78th minute and Pepperdine-bound Kylie McDonald added an insurance goal two minutes later to lift Westlake High School’s girls soccer team to a 3-1 win over host South Hills on Tuesday in the second round of the CIF-Southern Section Division II playoffs. The loss was a cruel finish to a stellar season for the Huskies, which included the team handing area power Walnut its first San Antonio League loss en route to a share of the league title. South Hills finished 19-5. “I just told them after the game was over how proud I was of them,” South Hills coach Scott Mocabee said. “This game isn’t going to take away what they accomplished this season, beating Walnut and beating Canyon (in the first round).” South Hills broke a scoreless tie at halftime when Tiffany Schneider took advantage of an error by Westlake goalie Jackie Jacobsen, who came out from the goal for a loose ball. center_img [email protected] (626) 962-8811, Ext. 2233 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more


first_imgIt was the visitors who had the earliest chance of the game, captain Bernard Ochieng powering a header across the face of goal in the 14th minute when he rushed in to meet a well delivered freekick from Patrick Okulo.On the other end, Tusker’s first real chance of the game came in the22nd minute when Timothy Otieno picked up the ball inside the box but his shot on the turn under pressure from the Vihiga skipper Ochieng went over.Vihiga had gotten a good hold of the game and were not afraid to express themselves, playing balls behind the Tusker defense in a bid to use their pace and break the backline.In the 32nd minute, Tusker keeper Duncan Ochieng made a great save using his body to block a shot from Dennis Wafula who had picked the ball inside the box after Andrew Murunga had nodded down the ball for him from a deep cross.Vihiga United’s Dennis Ombewa attempts to shoot under pressure from Tusker FC’s Timothy Otieno during a Kenyan Premier League clash at the Ruaraka Complex on April 15, 2018. PHOTO/Timothy OlobuluFive minutes later Vincent Wonder came close with a freekick from the edge of the box which went inches over after curling beyond the wall.Tusker should have ended the half at least one up with a good chance at the end when Robert Achema played a quick one-two with Amos Asembeka but his eventual shot was weak and an easy pick for Barnabas Tiema.At the start of the second half Tusker head coach Sam Timbe changed his options upfront, Asembeka and Paul Odhiambo coming off for Mathew Odongo and Mike Khamati.The home side managed to push Vihiga into their own half but were not lucky to his the target. On the hour mark, Hashim Ssempala came close with a shot from distance which was turned against the bar by Tiema.On the other end, Duncan Ochieng pulled off another great save to deny skipper Ochieng who had taken a one-time volley at goal off an Okulo freekick.Tusker had more chances with Achema and Ssempala’s shots from range well collected by Tiema.Tusker were almost caught out five minutes to full time when Murunga broke the offside trap to meet Okullo’s cross from the left, but the former Tusker man volleyed over.0Shares0000(Visited 2 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Vihiga United’s Patrick Okulo attempts to move past Tusker FC’s Eric Ambunya during a Kenyan Premier League clash at the Ruaraka Complex on April 15, 2018. PHOTO/Timothy OlobuluNAIROBI, Kenya, Apr 15- Tusker FC’s Kenyan Premier League struggles this season continued as they were held to a barren draw by Vihiga United at their Ruaraka Complex backyard on Sunday afternoon.With only two wins this season, Tusker were under pressure to deliver a win and ensure they pump up the journey off the bottom half of the log. Vihiga though playing away were not coming in for anything short of a win as they are also perched in the bottom half of the log.last_img read more


first_imgA Donegal farmer will be one of the stars of the show on this week’s Ireland’s Got Talent.Martin McGuinness (51) from Ardara will be taking to the stage on Ireland’s biggest talent show this Saturday with high hopes of avoiding the red buzzers.Originally from Belfast, Martin has been living in Donegal since the 80s. He says he fancies himself as a bit of a singer, and he is hoping the judges will see his talent too. Martin will be sharing his cabaret stylings with judges Louis Walsh, Denise Van Outen and Michelle Visage and Jason Byrne this week, hoping to impress them enough to progress to the next round. Donegal dancer Lia Della Friel stunned the judges to make it through in week two.A sneak peek at this Saturday’s episode shows a shocking moment in store for comedian Jason Byrne. The prestigious Golden Buzzer is an option for judges to progress an act to the next round regardless of the other judges’ votes.It’s not a decision to be taken lightly, but in this gaffe, Jason hits the buzzer with his foot and accidentally puts an act through. He is thrilled with the result, while Louis, Michelle and Denise are gobsmacked. We don’t know which act Jason gives the free pass to, but it’s sure to be an entertaining shocker this week.Ireland’s Got Talent airs on TV3 at 7.30pm, Saturday 24th February.  Ardara’s Martin McGuinness to show off his skills on Ireland’s Got Talent was last modified: February 23rd, 2018 by Rachel McLaughlinShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:ireland’s got talentTVTV3last_img read more