first_imgIndonesia’s automotive industry players can breathe a sigh of relief as national car sales in June rebounded strongly, promising a smoother road for the rest of the year, analysts have said.National car sales jumped more than threefold in June to 12,623 units from a record low 3,551 units a month before, according to Association of Indonesian Automotive Manufacturers (Gaikindo) data compiled by diversified conglomerate PT Astra International. Despite the rebound, sales in June were almost 79 percent lower year-on-year (yoy).In total, sales reached 260,933 units during the first half, a plunge of around 46 percent from the same period last year. “We expect the recovery to ramp up ahead,” RHB Sekuritas analyst Andrey Wijaya wrote in a research note dated July 16. “We are also positive on monthly sales, as national retail sales came up to 29,682 units (+74.8 percent mom [month-on-month], -54.6 percent yoy) – which means dealers’ businesses have begun to return to normal levels.”However, he warned that an increase in COVID-19 infections would have a severe negative impact on the auto industry, as well as a further weakening in global economic growth.Car sales have become one of the indicators of Indonesia’s household spending, which accounts for more than half of the country’s gross domestic product (GDP).Indonesia’s automotive industry was hit hard by the government’s decision to implement large scale social restrictions (PSBB) in several cities nationwide to curb the spread of the coronavirus. Car wholesales nosedived in April and hit rock bottom in May with a more than 95 percent annual drop as the pandemic hit demand. A rebound in car sales in June is highly likely due to pent up demand after most dealers closed their doors for more than two months due to the partial lockdowns, Sucor Sekuritas analysts wrote in a report on July 1.“Although it is still too early to conclude that purchasing power has returned, we are happy to see that sales performance has started to gain traction,” they wrote.“It is also our strong belief that the sales trend will further improve, albeit slowly, in the second half. At this juncture, we project car sales will decline by 30 to 40 percent yoy this year to only around 600,000 to 700,000 units versus 1.05 million units in 2019.”Previously, Gaikindo decided to cut its domestic car sales target this year by 40 percent to just 600,000 units. The association also slashed Indonesia’s car export target to 175,000 units in 2020 from the initial target of 350,000 to 400,000 units.Indonesia has recorded national car sales of around 1 million units annually in recent years.Gaikindo co-chairman Jongki Sugiarto told The Jakarta Post on Monday that carmakers aimed to sell at least 30,000 cars in July to achieve its sales projection of 100,000 cars in the April-July period.“If we could achieve 100,000 car sales in [in the April to July period], we could achieve our annual target. I believe we can achieve that,” he said.Automotive industry expert Bebin Djuana said on Tuesday that manufacturers should keep their production low despite the sales increase in June, as falling car demand from March to May caused rising car stocks in dealers across the country.Four-wheeled vehicle production reached over 82,000 and 89,000 units in February and March, respectively, according to Gaikindo data.The car production rate dropped by April and hit rock-bottom in May with only 1,997 cars being produced during the month. The production number climbed in June with 16,000 units, as car sales started to rebound.The improvement in the industry is expected to be beneficial for Astra, half of whose revenue is sourced from the automotive business, according to RHB Sekuritas and Sucor Sekuritas analysts.Astra, whose stocks trade at the Indonesia Stock Exchange (IDX) under the code ASII, traditionally hold more than half of the country’s car wholesale market share but its share dropped to a record low of 31 percent and 38 percent in May and June, respectively.“We believe ASII is likely to benefit in the longer term, supported by our unchanged thesis of an increase in demand for higher-capacity automobiles, as the new normal (social distancing, public health fears) may result in the public leaning more toward using private vehicles over public transportation,” Andrey of RHB said.Astra’s stocks had dropped 2.79 percent as of 2:36 p.m. Western Indonesia Time on Wednesday as the main gauge, the Jakarta Composite Index (JCI) slipped 0.24 percent. The stocks have lost 23 percent of their value in the last year. (prm)Topics :last_img read more


first_imgFacebook0Tweet0Pin0 Submitted by Thurston CountyIncreased Enforcement for June and JulyAmericans love to celebrate the Fourth of July with family, friends, food and fireworks, but too often alcohol turns the party into a tragedy, making this iconic holiday one of the most deadly days of the year on the nation’s roads.That’s why this June through July, Thurston, Gray’s Harbor, Cowlitz, and Lewis Counties are stepping up police presence throughout the entire southwest Washington region as part of the “DUI Summer Kick-Off” enforcement crackdown to catch and arrest impaired drivers who put themselves and others at risk.“Local police will be out in force throughout this Independence Day, on the lookout for motorists who have had too much alcohol to be behind the wheel of a vehicle,” said Thurston County’s Target Zero Manager Jerry Noviello.  “Police will have zero tolerance for drivers who drink and drive this July 4th, putting themselves and everyone else on our roads at risk of life and limb.”While death and injury are of course the most serious of possible consequences of drunk driving, there are other negative considerations that can affect lives for many years, including loss of a driver licenses, vehicle impoundment, jail time, lawyer fees, court costs, insurance hikes, just to name a few.Be safe while you’re having fun this summer.  If you’re impaired, use a taxi or call a sober friend or family member. And if you happen to see a drunk driver on the road, don’t hesitate to contact local police.last_img read more


first_imgWatch President Jacob Zuma’s fourth State of the Nation Address, given on Thursday, 9 February 2017. Final preparations being made at the Parliament precinct in Cape Town for the 2017 State of the Nation address by President Jacob Zuma on 9 February 2017. Taking inspiration from struggle stalwart OR Tambo, Zuma in his speech called on South Africans to unite and move the country forward. (Photo: GCIS)Brand South Africa reporterPresident Jacob Zuma gave his annual State of the Nation Address (SONA) in Parliament on Thursday, 9 February at 7pm. The theme for Zuma’s fourth SONA was “The year of Oliver Reginald Tambo: unity in action together moving South Africa forward”.South African President looks at members of the South African Parliament during his 2017 State of the Nation address, given on 9 February 2017. (Image: GCIS)The address was Zuma’s fourth SONA to the joint sitting of the two houses of Parliament – National Assembly and National Council of Provinces – since he was re-elected in May 2014.WATCH a video of the President’s 2017 State of the Nation address below. Source: GCISlast_img read more


first_imgTagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Chelsea striker Batshuayi on brink of sealing Monaco moveby Paul Vegas9 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveChelsea striker Michy Batshuayi is close to sealing a move to AS Monaco.Chelsea are now in ‘advanced talks’ to loan Batshuayi to Monaco.The striker has been ditched by Valencia after a dismal first half to the season.But Thierry Henry is a fan and believes he can get goals from the Belgian, to fire his struggling side to safety.And a deal is now close. last_img read more


first_imgPrime Minister Portia Simpson Miller says household workers, who are predominantly women, occupy positions of importance and make their contribution to national development. “This largely female cadre has contributed throughout every period of our history to the fundamentals of our development,” said the Prime Minister. She was speaking at the launch of the Jamaica Household Workers Union on Friday, March 15 at the Knutsford Court Hotel in Kingston. The Prime Minister described the launch as a historic moment in the country’s development. “The concept of a union for household workers to ensure that they are respected and enjoy equality of rights in order to maintain their dignity in the Jamaican society, is a manifestation of the vibrancy of our democracy,” Mrs. Simpson Miller said. The Prime Minister noted that the launch was taking place as the Government is reviewing the International Labour Organization (IL0) Convention 189, which stipulates “Domestic work is decent work”, and emphasised that the Government “will not fail to accept all the conditions that will result in an environment of decent work for every household worker in Jamaica.” The Jamaica Household Workers Union is led by President Shirley Pryce and seeks to protect the rights of, and providing skills training for domestic workers. Contact: Communications Unit-OPMTel: 926-0244 Fax: 920-4684 Email: [email protected]last_img read more


first_imgATLANTIC CITY, N.J. – Former Fox News Channel anchor and 1989 Miss America Gretchen Carlson was named chairwoman of the Miss America Organization’s board of directors Monday, and three other past pageant winners will join her on the board.The new leadership comes less than two weeks after leaked emails surfaced showing CEO Sam Haskell and others disparaging the appearance, intellect and sex lives of former Miss Americas. Haskell resigned Dec. 23, along with two other top leaders.The selection of Carlson marks the first time a former pageant winner has served as the leader of the nearly 100-year-old organization. The organization also announced the appointments of three other past Miss Americas: 2012 winner Laura Kaeppeler Fleiss, 2000 winner Heather French Henry and Kate Shindle, who won in 1998 and now serves as president of the Actors’ Equity Association. Their appointments take effect immediately, as does Carlson’s.“Everyone has been stunned by the events of the last several days, and this has not been easy for anyone who loves this program,” Carlson said in a statement issued by the Miss America Organization. “In the end, we all want a strong, relevant Miss America and we appreciate the existing board taking the steps necessary to quickly begin stabilizing the organization for the future.”Carlson said she and the new board would immediately work with all Miss America stakeholders, including the organization’s state executive directors and former state titleholders, “to continue an ongoing inclusive and transparent process to identify additional new board members and management.”The new board also looks forward to working with the organization’s many sponsors, “seeking input while creating a viable, forward-looking Miss America Organization for this and future generations of young women,” Carlson said.In the emails published last month by the Huffington Post, pageant officials ridiculed the appearance, intellect and sex lives of former Miss Americas. One email used a vulgar term for female genitalia to refer to past Miss America winners, another included a wish that a particular former Miss America had died and others speculated about the number of sex partners former Miss America Mallory Hagan has had.The ensuing uproar led to the resignations of Haskell; the group’s president, Josh Randle; board chairwoman Lynn Weidner, and another board member.The emails already cost the pageant its television production partner and raised questions about the future of the nationally televised broadcast from Atlantic City’s Boardwalk Hall the week after Labor Day each year.Dick Clark Productions cut ties with the Miss America Organization over the emails, calling them “appalling.”last_img read more


first_imgKolkata: The Calcutta University (CU) has started work to renovate all the buildings on its main campus at College Street in a bid to ensure proper conservation of all these buildings as per its heritage value. The state Public Works Department which is executing the work has consulted the West Bengal Heritage Commission (WBHC) and the entire process of renovation is being supervised by Partha Ranjan Das, heritage conservation architect of WBHC. Also Read – Bengal family worships Muslim girl as Goddess Durga in Kumari Puja”The main purpose of preservation of heritage is to renovate the buildings in a way so that they maintain the look it had during its inception. Temporary constructions have come up inside the buildings here and there from time to time which does not go with the heritage. We are removing all encroachments that are deterrent to the heritage,” said Sonali Chakravarti Bannerjee, vice chancellor of Calcutta University. The verandahs of the buildings had turned into an eyesore with rooms for officers, attached toilets and similar constructions blocking the actual look of the balconies of heritage building. The four buildings that are being given a facelift are Asutosh Building, Darbhanga Building, Centenary Building and the Hardinge Building. Also Read – Bengal civic volunteer dies in road mishap on national highwayThe Darbhanga Building erected in 1912 houses university offices, including the chambers of the Vice-Chancellor, the Pro-Vice-Chancellor for Academic Affairs, the Registrar and the Controller of Examinations. The Asutosh Building unveiled in 1926 accommodates the postgraduate language and literature departments and the department of commerce. The Senate House that was erected in 1872 and was the first habitation of the varsity was demolished in 1960. It used to provide the venue for Senate meetings, the chamber of the Vice-Chancellor, offices of the Registrar and also examination and lecture halls. Elaborating on the renovation work, Kanakendu Sinha, superintending engineer (Presidency Circle) of the state PWD, said the work begun with through examination of the strength of the buildings. The Darbhanga Building was found to be in a weak condition with many old furniture, papers being dumped at the top floor of the building. “Most of these things being very old hardly had any value and were highly risky in terms of fire vulnerability too. All these things were brought down to reduce the load at the top before taking up the work. The university authorities had provided us with maps, drawings and similar material of the inception days which have helped us immensely in execution of the work,” Sinha said. The syndicate hall of the university has already seen a major facelift with air conditioning and video conference facilities. The photographs of 51 chancellors of the varsity till date has also been restored and put up on the wall of the syndicate room. The work that had started in the middle of 2018 is expected to be completed in the next four to five months. “After the completion of the work on this campus we will undertake work to renovate our Rajabazar Science Campus which is also another heritage building,” the Vice-Chancellor said.last_img read more


first_imgBhopal: BSP chief Mayawati on Tuesday threatened to “reconsider” continuing support to the Kamal Nath-led government in Madhya Pradesh after her party candidate from Guna Lok Sabha seat joined the Congress.BSP candidate from Guna, Lokendra Singh Rajput, joined the Congress on Monday evening and extended his support to Guna’s sitting MP and Congress candidate Jyotiraditya Scindia. Reacting to it, Mayawati on her official twitter handle said, “The Congress is not behind of BJP in misusing the government machinery. The Congress has intimidated the BSP candidate from Guna in MP to withdraw from the fray.” Also Read – 2019 most peaceful festive season for J&K: Jitendra Singh”But, the BSP would reply by contesting the elections on its own symbol and also reconsider continuation of support to the Congress government,” she tweeted in Hindi. In the last year’s state Assembly polls, the Congress emerged as the single largest party in the 230-member House with 114 seats, two short of the simple majority mark. It formed the government with the support of two legislators of the BSP, one MLA of the Samajwadi Party and four Independents. The BJP won 109 seats in the state polls.last_img read more


first_imgFrance International Adrien Rabiot has reportedly been banished from first-team training at Paris Saint-Germain.The midfielder is set to leave the French champions before the end of the January transfer window as he will be out of contract this summer.The French player has been linked with a number of clubs this window with the latest being Spanish giants Barcelona although the club denied making official contact for the player.Neymar, BrazilNeymar can win the Ballon d’Or, says Ander Herrera Andrew Smyth – September 13, 2019 An “excited” Ander Herrera believes new Paris Saint-Germain team-mate Neymar is a contender for the Ballon d’Or alongside Kylian Mbappe.Sports mole reports that Rabiot’s mother and agent Veronique Rabiot said last month that the midfielder would not be signing a new contract with PSG, making him a free agent at the end of this season.Apart from Barcelona, Chelsea and Liverpool have also been strongly linked with the 23-year-old whom PSG are mounting pressure on to leave sooner rather than later by making him train with the club’s reserve team.Rabiot has been a subject of controversy following his reaction to France Coach Didier Deschamps World Cup list last year.last_img read more