first_imgBy Dialogo April 05, 2013 “Approximately 52 individuals were arrested on federal narcotics and money laundering charges, and approximately 51 individuals were arrested on state narcotics and related charges.” US law enforcement authorities arrested more than 100 people on March 3, in what was described as a “massive operation” against heroin and cocaine traffickers from the Caribbean into Connecticut. “This morning, more than 700 law enforcement officers involved in the operation executed scores of federal and state arrest and arrest warrants in Connecticut, New York, Rhode Island, Massachusetts and Puerto Rico,” the federal prosecutor’s office for Connecticut said. “We allege that the defendants arrested today were responsible for a very large percentage of the heroin and cocaine available for street sale in New London County,” said US Attorney David Fein. center_img The alleged ring was importing “wholesale amounts of drugs” to Connecticut. Most of the defendants would face prison sentences of between five and 10 years if found guilty. The wave of arrests followed a 15-month investigation into the trafficking of the drugs from Puerto Rico and the nearby Dominican Republic. Authorities built their case on wiretaps of 15 telephones, physical surveillance and undercover purchases of cocaine and heroin, the US attorney’s office said. last_img read more


first_imgPhoto: HTZ The city of Zagreb is presented as a citybreak destination “I must admit that the interest in Croatia and the Croatian tourist offer in Australia exceeded all our expectations. We held a presentation before the leading Australian tour operators who already offer Croatia in their programs, but what we are especially pleased about before numerous travel agents who, due to the great interest of Australians in traveling to our country, want to cooperate with Croatian tourism entities.”, Commented the director of the CNTB Kristjan Staničić, adding that this year the focus of the Croatian Tourist Board is the enhanced promotion of Croatia in distant markets such as China, USA, Canada, Singapore, South Korea and especially Australia.  Luka Olivari, a representative of Rijeka – European Capital of Culture 2020, pointed out that Rijeka was well received by Australian travel agents. “Australian tourism professionals are particularly interested in art, education and pop culture, in which Rijeka has been at the forefront for years. Rijeka has so far been a lesser-known destination for travelers from Australia and these workshops have contributed to increasing the tourist attractiveness of the entire region and strengthening the identity of the flowing city.” Olivari concluded. “The Australian market is extremely important for our city because Australian guests stay longer in the destination, and for them Zagreb has an excellent offer for money and is the starting or ending point of a longer trip to Croatia and neighboring countries. Zagreb presented itself as a year-round destination with numerous events throughout the year, and this is important because we are recognized in Australia as a citybreak destination. Also, a special focus is on health tourism, which is of particular interest to tourists from Australia, as well as a rich cultural offer. the city of Zagreb is one of the most important cultural and tourist destinations ” said the director of the Zagreb Tourist Board Martina Bienenfeld. In order to complete the promotion of the Croatian tourist offer in Australia, the Croatian tourist delegation will hold a presentation on Friday, July 5 in Sydney in front of twenty leading Australian tourist and lifestyle media such as Travmedia, Get lost magazine, Marie Claire, Gourmet Traveler, Travel Weekly Australia, SBS, Harper’s Bazaar, Travel Tolk, KarryOn, Escape, Luxury Travel Magazine, MiNDFOOD, The Australian Women’s Weekly, etc. “The interest of Australians in traveling to Croatia is growing from year to year, they are travelers who do not rest, love adrenaline, sports, good fun and great food, and your country abounds in it. Australians want to see and explore Croatia “, said Paul Polyviou, CEO of Sun Island Tours, boasting that this year they have issued a special brochure dedicated exclusively to cruises along the Croatian coast. Photo: HTZ Since 2015, the City of Zagreb has been recording a constant increase in guests from Australia. In 2018, 30.636 arrivals and 64.288 overnight stays were recorded, which is an increase of as much as 81 percent in arrivals and 91 percent in overnight stays, compared to the year before. After this week’s successful presentation in Melbourne, even greater interest in Croatia was in Sydney, according to the CNTB, where the Croatian tourist offer was presented to leading Australian tour operators and 82 Australian travel agents. This workshop was also organized in cooperation with the Slovenian Tourist Board under the slogan “Experience Croatia, Feel Slovenia”.   For the first time in history, the Croatian National Tourist Board organized a presentation of the Croatian tourist offer in Australia.  According to the CNTB, the presentation in Sydney was attended, among others, by tour operators Experience Croatia & More, a company with more than 40 years of experience in the tourism industry that was the first to introduce the sale of Croatia as a tourist destination in the Australian market; Greece and Mediterranean Travel Center, an Australian agency specializing in the sale of Greece, Egypt, Italy, Spain, Malta and Croatia; Excite Holidays, a leading Australian and global online travel platform that provides travel, accommodation, transportation and Sun Island Tours tour operator specializing in the sale of Croatia, Cyprus, Egypt, Greece, Israel, Italy, Jordan, Malta, Portugal, Slovenia, Spain and Turkey.  The presentation and workshops were attended by 11 Croatian tourism entities Dubrovnik-Neretva County Tourist Board, Rijeka – European Capital of Culture 2020, Croatia Airlines, Zagreb Tourist Board, Dubrovnik Tourist Board, Katarina Line Cruises & Tours, Atlas Plus, Navigare Yachting, Bagatin Clinic, Aronda Adriana Travel and Olivari while the Slovenian tourist offer was represented by four Slovenian partners, namely KNM Travel, Ljubljana tourism & Ljubljana Castle, Palma travel DMC and Happy tours.last_img read more


first_imgCipanas district head Oleh Najmudin said the 80-centimeter-deep flood struck at least 96 houses in three villages in the district – Sipayung, Talagahiang and Bintangresmi – at midnight while Muslims were having sahur (predawn meal).Lebak Disaster Mitigation Agency (BPBD) immediately warned residents, especially those living along riverbanks and the foothill of Mount Halimun-Salak, about the risk of landslides due to high-intensity rainfall.“We hope this warning can reduce the risk of fatalities,” BPBD Lebak head Kaprawi said, urging residents to temporarily move to safer places. The agency is gathering volunteers and equipment for search and rescue teams.A child plays with his bicycle at the flooded Gubukan Cibereum village in Lebak, Banten on Thursday, May 14, 2020. Floodwater from the overflowed Cibereum River has inundated the village since Wednesday evening. (Antara/Muhammad Bagus Khoirunas) The Meteorology, Climatology and Geophysics Agency (BMKG) issued a warning of extreme weather in several parts of Indonesia last week. The agency said the rainy season, initially forecasted to end in April, would stretching to May in Jakarta and June in other parts of Java.The BMKG has also warned of extreme weather in other areas, including Aceh, Riau, Riau Islands, Bengkulu, South Sumatra, West Nusa Tenggara, South Sulawesi and several parts of Kalimantan.Read also: BMKG warns of extreme weather in parts of Java as rainy season stretches to May or JuneOvernight torrential rain also caused flooding and a landslide in Bogor regency, West Java, where dozens of houses in Sukamulih village were submerged. Meanwhile, dozens of others in Wangunjaya village were buried in a landslide.Bogor Regent Ade Yasin said the floods had been caused by the overflowing Ciputih River.“I have instructed the local BPBD and district officials to disburse disaster aid and map areas affected by the disasters.”BPBD Bogor reported that at least one Wangunjaya resident had gone missing, presumably buried in the landslide. Four residents were also injured during the disaster.The landslide in Wangunjaya displaced 69 families and damaged 14 houses, two public lavatories and a mosque.Read also: High intensity rain triggers flooding in parts of Aceh, Central KalimantanHeavy rain on Wednesday afternoon also caused a flash flood and landslide in several villages in Central Aceh regency, Aceh. The landslide was triggered by unstable soil conditions at a nearby hill.At least 11 houses were damaged, while water and mud from the flood carried away debris and objects as large as private cars.Joint search and rescue team operates heavy machinery to clean flood materials at Paya Tumpi Baru village in Central Aceh regency, Aceh on Wednesday, May 13, 2020. Overnight torrential rain has triggered a flash flood that damages dozens of houses in the village. (Antara/Kurnia Muhadi)“We are waiting for the rapid assessment report from BPBD Central Aceh on the victims and material losses,” said BPBD Aceh head Sunawardi.Idrus Putra, the head of the affected Paya Tumpi Baru village, said 20 families were taking shelter in the village administration office. He went on to say that the village needed generators and clean water.Since late April, flash floods have hit Tuva village in Central Sulawesi, Bireun in Aceh and Cilegon city in Banten. (syk)Topics : Heavy rainfall throughout the week has caused floods and landslides in several provinces, as the rainy season is expected to be last longer than initially forecasted.A downpour lasting from Tuesday afternoon to Wednesday morning led to floods in Lebak regency, Banten, submerging dozens of houses in Cipanas district and destroying a bridge in Lebak Gedong district.“Luckily, no casualties were reported,” Cipanas resident Memed said on Wednesday as quoted by Antara news agency.last_img read more


first_imgIn Switzerland, the Indonesian delegation met with GAVI, the Vaccine Alliance; the Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovations (CEPI); and the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) to discuss equality between countries in the procurement of a hoped-for COVID-19 vaccine.During the visit to Switzerland, Indonesia said it would help ensure equal access to vaccines globally. Retno said Indonesia was able to participate in the provision of a potential future vaccine because state-owned pharmaceutical company Bio Farma had a large production capacity.”A collaboration like this shows Indonesia’s commitment and leadership to support multilateralism and access to vaccines for all,” Retno said.Read also: Bio Farma teams up with CEPI to mass produce COVID-19 vaccine Foreign Minister Retno LP Marsudi and State-owned Enterprises Minister Erick Thohir visited the United Kingdom and Switzerland earlier this week to strengthen bilateral and multilateral cooperation on COVID-19 handling and vaccine procurement.“Our trip to the UK and Switzerland adds to our efforts to secure vaccine cooperation, both bilaterally and multilaterally,” Retno said during a virtual conference from Geneva, Switzerland, on Friday.Indonesia met directly with British pharmaceutical company AstraZeneca, which is testing a COVID-19 candidate vaccine. “We will continue our coordination and communication with [the WHO, UNICEF, GAVI and the CEPI]. Once again, cooperation is key,” she added.Erick echoed Retno’s statement, saying the visit aimed to ensure a future vaccination program in the country and reiterate Indonesia’s global role in health efforts.“It is very important for us to take part in global COVID-19 handling to ensure safety for all Indonesian citizens,” he said in a press statement.Indonesia has been working with China to procure a potential vaccine through pharmaceutical companies Sinovac and Cansino, with the United Arab Emirates through the G42 in collaboration with Sinopharm and with the United Kingdom through AstraZeneca.Vaccine candidates from Sinovac, Cansino, G42 – Sinopharm and AstraZeneca are currently undergoing phase three clinical trials. The clinical trial for the vaccine candidate from Sinovac is being held in Bandung, West Java. (aly/dis)Topics :last_img read more