first_imgThey battled gallantly to stop the huge fire from taking their homes and destroying their community.And now the people of the West Donegal communities of Annagry and Loughanure are to go into battle once again.Just days after a fire tried to rip the heart out of their community, hundreds of locals are set to take part in a massive clean-up operation. Weather-permitting there will be a massive clean-up on the hills from Loughanure to Kincasslagh this Monday night from 6pm until 9pm.Gloves and bags will be provided to volunteers in a bid to collect many items left behind during the frantic efforts to put out the hundreds of small fires which broke out last weekend.The items include broken spades, discarded water bottles and facemasks.A skip will be left at Caisleain Oir to dispose of all the waste that is collected. People are asked to arrive at 6pm and full co-ordination of the plan will be arranged.Main pic by Brid Sweeney.Massive clean-up planned in wake of West Donegal wildfire was last modified: April 27th, 2019 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Annagryclean-upLoughanureWest Donegallast_img read more


first_imgTagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say DONE DEAL? Watford swoop for Vozdovac striker Filip Stuparevicby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveWatford have signed Serbian striker Filip Stuparevic.The 18 year-old centre-forward hails from Vozdovac and has already signed for the Hornets.Vozdovac chief Goran Grkinic has confirmed the sale, though Stuparevic is unlikely to be seen at Vicarage Road until next season.The plan is for Watford to send Stuparevic on-loan to Serie A partners Udinese for the coming six months.Despite his youth, the young Serb has been a regular for Vozdovac this season. last_img read more


first_imgTagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Chelsea striker Batshuayi on brink of sealing Monaco moveby Paul Vegas9 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveChelsea striker Michy Batshuayi is close to sealing a move to AS Monaco.Chelsea are now in ‘advanced talks’ to loan Batshuayi to Monaco.The striker has been ditched by Valencia after a dismal first half to the season.But Thierry Henry is a fan and believes he can get goals from the Belgian, to fire his struggling side to safety.And a deal is now close. last_img read more


first_imgFred Hoiberg dances in new Infiniti comemrcial.YouTubeWith the elimination of the Chicago Bulls from the NBA Playoffs, all signs point to the franchise parting ways with head coach Tom Thibodeau. Who will take over the historic franchise if the job opens up as expected? According to Yahoo Sports’ NBA insider Adrian Wojnarowski, Iowa State head coach Fred Hoiberg is the only coach on the Bulls’ list.“The job will be Fred Hoiberg’s if he wants it,” Wojnarowski said. “There’s not going to be any competition for him. Now, it’s conceivable that Fred Hoiberg decides to stay at Iowa State, but if they make a change and Tom Thibodeau is out, Fred Hoiberg is really the only candidate for this job from the Bulls perspective. But that doesn’t guarantee that he’s going to do it. I know he’s already had to give it thought because it’s real.The full interview with Wojnarowski is available at CBS Chicago.Last week, Iowa State athletic director Jamie Pollard admitted that the NBA is likely in Hoiberg’s future.Jamie Pollard on Hoiberg/NBA rumors: “He has always said from Day 1 that his lifelong goal has been to coach in the NBA…” (1/2)— Travis Hines (@TravisHines21) May 12, 2015Pollard: “…It’s for him to decide when that part of his life he wants to activate.” (2/2)— Travis Hines (@TravisHines21) May 12, 2015I asked Jamie Pollard if he expected Fred Hoiberg to be his men’s basketball coach on Aug. 1: “I hope so.”— Travis Hines (@TravisHines21) May 12, 2015 Will the chance to coach Derrick Rose, Jimmy Butler, and Joakim Noah lead him out of Ames? We’ll probably find out pretty soon.[CBS Chicago]last_img read more


first_img Failure to immunise may result in public health issues for the country. Parents can be charged under the law for failure to adequately immunise their children. Story Highlights The Ministry of Health (MoH) has renewed its appeal for parents and guardians to get their children immunised.Speaking at a recent Jamaica Information Service (JIS) Think Tank, Director of Family Health Services in the Ministry, Dr. Karen Lewis-Bell, reminded parents that they could be charged under the law for failure to adequately immunise their children.She said that under the 1986 Public Health Act, parents, principals and owners of day care facilities and health care workers, who contribute or cause a child to not be adequately vaccinated for his age, outside of medical contra-indications, are liable for prosecution in a Resident Magistrates Court. They can be fined and/or given a term of imprisonment for up to 30 days.In addition to the legal ramifications, Dr. Bell said failure to immunise may result in public health issues for the country.While Jamaica has eradicated a number of diseases, this is not the case for every country and so there is the risk that these conditions could be re-introduced to the island through travel.“Occasionally, we have tourists from countries that do not have an established immunisation programme, those in which it is not mandated, and even from countries where certain diseases are still endemic. This sometimes results in imported cases of polio, measles or other non-immunisation-related diseases,” Dr. Bell pointed out.She said that “young parents in particular, are not familiar with some diseases that affect children if they are not immunised and so they are more fearful of the vaccines and the minor side effects associated with the vaccines, rather than the disease itself.”Dr. Bell explained that it is very difficult for the health sector to stop importation of diseases because many of these conditions have an incubation period, which sometimes lasts between seven to 21 days. During this period, she said, the person is infected but has not yet started to show signs and symptoms of the disease.“These persons appear healthy upon entering the country and later visits health care facilities for treatment and that is when the Ministry of Health’s active surveillance system identifies the imported disease. In this system, health care providers search mainly hospitals for these cases on a daily and sometimes weekly basis,” she informed.Dr. Bell said that the Government has an obligation to protect the welfare of the nation from these conditions, despite the philosophical and religious belief of the individual.“When it concerns the health and well-being of the nation, it is the responsibility of the Government to consider the well-being of the wider population and act accordingly,” she stated.With the availability of relatively cheap and safe vaccines for several diseases, the Director of Family Health Services said that children should not have to battle with certain diseases and in some cases die. The Government has an obligation to protect the welfare of the nation from these conditions.last_img read more


first_imgLENDRUM TOWNSHIP, Ont. – Police say four people killed in a two-vehicle crash in northern Ontario over the weekend were from Calgary and Winnipeg.Ontario provincial police say the collision happened Sunday in Lendrum Township, about 15 kilometres south of Wawa, Ont., when a southbound vehicle struck a moose and crossed into oncoming traffic, hitting a northbound vehicle.They say all five people in the northbound vehicle were taken to hospital with serious injuries and two of them died.Police have identified those two people as 51-year-old Cynthia Caraoa and nine-year-old Anika Caraoa of Winnipeg.They say two people in the southbound vehicle were pronounced dead on scene and two others were also transported to hospital with serious injuries.Police identified the deceased as 45-year-old Fatos Metko and 14-year-old Fioralb Metko of Calgary.Note to readers: This is a corrected story. An earlier version incorrectly said five people were in the vehicle that struck the moose.last_img read more


first_imgAPTN National newsKateri Tekawitha, also known as the Lily of the Mohawks, is now officially a saint.Millions of people all around the world shared the celebration of her canonization by Pope Benedict on Oct. 21 in Rome.Indigenous Catholics have long awaited this recognition and now have a special saint to call upon.APTN National News reporter Danielle Rochette has this story.last_img


first_imgQUEBEC – The Trudeau government has told President Donald Trump he needs to get rid of the punishing U.S. tariffs on Canadian steel and aluminum if there is any hope of successfully renegotiating the North American Free Trade Agreement.Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and Finance Minister Bill Morneau said that message was communicated clearly to Trump during his meetings at the G7 leaders’ summit, which is wrapping up Saturday.Trudeau said he told Trump directly that Canadians “particularly did not take lightly the fact that it’s based on a national security reason” and held firm to the government’s threat of retaliation.“Canadians are polite, we’re reasonable, but we also will not be pushed around.”But Trump appeared to take Trudeau’s criticism personally, and denounced the prime minister hours after he departed the G7 summit on Saturday.“Based on Justin’s false statements at his news conference, and the fact that Canada is charging massive Tariffs to our U.S. farmers, workers and companies, I have instructed our U.S. Reps not to endorse the Communique as we look at Tariffs on automobiles flooding the U.S. Market!,” the president wrote.Trump then called Trudeau “Very dishonest & weak” in a follow-up tweet.PM Justin Trudeau of Canada acted so meek and mild during our @G7 meetings only to give a news conference after I left saying that, “US Tariffs were kind of insulting” and he “will not be pushed around.” Very dishonest & weak. Our Tariffs are in response to his of 270% on dairy!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) June 9, 2018It was not immediately clear where the new round of aggression would leave the two leaders and their mercurial attempts to find trade peace.Earlier while still in Quebec, Trump said he wants to make a deal on NAFTA, and he’s open to working with the current pact or striking separate agreements with Canada and Mexico — as long as they agree to renegotiate every five years.Canada wants a deal too, but Trudeau reiterated the government view that the U.S.’s proposed five-year sunset clause is a non-starter.Canada is now adding the tariffs to its list of deal breakers on NAFTA. Morneau said progress is being made, but more work needs to be done to conclude the negotiations.“We’re not going to be able to do that work under the threat of tariffs. And we’re not going to be able to do that work when our retaliatory tariffs, which are real, they’re significant,” Morneau said in a Saturday interview.The government announced it would impose more than $16.6-billion in retaliatory tariffs, effective July 1, on a variety of U.S. goods. Mexico and the European Union have also planned retaliatory tariff packages.Trump said that would be a bad idea.“If they retaliate, they’re making a mistake,” he said.“They do so much more business with us than we do with them … the numbers are so astronomically against them … we win that war a thousand times out of a thousand.”Trudeau said Canada wasn’t backing down.“I highlighted that it was not helping in our renegotiation of NAFTA and that it would be with regret, but it would be with absolute certainty and firmness that we move forward with retaliatory measures on July 1.”Trudeau and the other G7 leaders used their meeting to try to persuade Trump to abandon the tariffs, which affect all of America’s G7 allies.British Prime Minister Theresa May said the other G7 leaders registered their “deep disappointment at the unjustified decision by the U.S.” on its closest allies.“The loss of trade through tariffs undermines competition, reduces productivity and removes the incentive to innovate and ultimately makes everyone poorer,” she said.Once again, Trump emphasized that the days of the U.S. getting the short end of the stick in its trading relationships with the world were over under his watch.And he made clear that extends to the current deal the U.S. is renegotiating with its continental neighbours, Canada and Mexico.“We’re either going to have NAFTA in a better negotiated form or we’re going to have two deals,” the U.S. president said.But by insisting on re-negotiating every five years, Trump is diametrically opposed with Canada, which says the sunset clause would create perpetual uncertainty and harm long-term investment.Disagreement over the sunset clause was the deal breaker that scuttled a possible meeting between Trump and Trudeau in Washington late last month in an attempt to bring the NAFTA talks to a conclusion.Vice President Mike Pence told Trudeau he would have to agree to that before Trump would agree to meet him.Trudeau refused, and the meeting was off. But the lead ministers from both countries talked trade on the sidelines of the G7 leaders’ meeting on Friday.“On NAFTA we either leave it the way it is as a three-some deal with Canada, the United States and Mexico and change it very substantially — we’re talking about very big changes. Or we’re going to make a deal directly with Canada, directly with Mexico,” Trump said Saturday.“If a deal isn’t made, that would be a very bad thing for Canada and a very bad thing for Mexico. To United States, frankly, it would be a good thing but I’m not looking to do that. I’m not looking to play that game.”Trump repeated his criticism of Canada’s supply managed dairy industry, one of his favourite targets in Twitter posts, including this week prior to his arrival in Canada.Pierre Lampron, the president of Dairy Farmers of Canada, shot back at Trump’s claims about his industry.“President Trump is targeting the dairy sector because he wants to dump U.S. dairy into Canada,” Lampron told The Canadian Press, adding that Canada imports five times more dairy from the U.S. than it exports.“President Trump wants nothing less than wiping out Canadian dairy farming.”last_img read more


first_imgNew Delhi: Citing the Pulwama terror attack, President Ram Nath Kovind Tuesday praised the valour and sacrifice of security forces in protecting the country and its citizens.Forces such as the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) have been playing a pivotal role in checking separatism and terrorism in Jammu and Kashmir, he said. “The valour and bravery with which CRPF personnel faced the terrorists, who attacked the Parliament (in 2001), have become part of the legend of the country’s security forces. “CPRF personnel have played an appreciable role in checking separatism and terrorism in Jammu and Kashmir,” he said during a remembrance service at the National Police Memorial here. Also Read – Uddhav bats for ‘Sena CM’The service marks the annual ‘Valour Day’ of the CRPF which remembers the gallant fight back by its personnel at the Sardar post in Gujarat’s Rann of Kutch against Pakistani troop on this day in 1965. The president paid tributes to police and paramilitary personnel killed in the line of duty, including the 40 CRPF jawans who lost their lives in the February 14 Pulwama terror attack. He laid a wreath at the memorial, a 30-foot-tall and 238-tonne black granite structure, which was unveiled by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on October 21 last year on police commemoration day. Also Read – Farooq demands unconditional release of all detainees in J&KKovind said a pall of gloom had descended on the country after the Pulwama attack.”People queued up to pay their respect to their (the CRPF personnel) sacrifice. I on behalf of the whole nation paid my deepest respect in remembrance of those brave hearts,” he said. Police personnel have always been alert and active to ensure the safety of the people, and have shown extraordinary commitment towards the nation, he said. This is for the first time that the president has visited the memorial located at Chanakyapuri here. Kovind, the supreme commander of the armed forces, was accorded a “national salute” and presented a guard of honour by a joint column of troops from all the Central Armed Police Forces (CAPFs) such as the CRPF, BSF, ITBP, CISF and SSB. Union Home Secretary Rajiv Gauba; Director of the Intelligence Bureau, Rajiv Jain; Director of CRPF, Rajeev Rai Bhatnagar; and other officials from paramilitary forces, police and the Union Home Ministry attended the event. In 1965, CRPF troops were posted on border-guarding duties and the Sardar post event is mentioned as a glorious chapter in the country’s military history when only two companies (about 150 personnel) of the force stood their ground and repulsed a Pakistani brigade attack.last_img read more


first_imgNew Delhi: The Delhi Police has arrested a man who sexually assaulted a divorcee after luring her with the false promise of marriage, said an officer on Friday. The incident was reported from Netaji Subhash Place in the national capital where a seven-month pregnant victim filed a complaint with the police on Wednesday. “The woman, 27, and a mother of two, in her complaint alleged that she was first time raped by the accused in June 2018. He raped her on the pretext of marrying her. But when he refused to fulfil his promise, the victim registered a complaint, following which he was arrested,” a senior police officer said. “During the court hearing, the accused had apologised to the victim, and with mutual consent they had agreed to tie the knot. Following this, the court had granted him bail,” he said. “After he came out on bail last year, the accused used to stay with woman and developed physical relation with her again promising to marry her. This time the victim got pregnant. When she would ask the accused to marry her, he would assault her and force for abortion,” he added. The accused is at large and a hunt is on to nab him, the officer said.last_img read more