first_imgThe destruction and permanent hurt of historic paedophile scandals in Donegal will be revisited in a harrowing documentary airing on TG4 tonight.Finné, on TG4 at 9.30pm, will delve into one of Ireland’s worst cases of child sexual abuse which took place in the Diocese of Raphoe over three decades.The programme will tell retired Garda Martin Ridge’s story and his investigation into the abuse crimes of the late Fr Eugene Greene and schoolteacher Denis McGinley. The cover-ups, the heart-breakingly violent rapes of young boys, and how the crimes came to light will all be discussed in the 60 minute documentary.Finné includes interviews with Martin Ridge, abuse victim Martin Gallagher, and Donegal journalists John McAteer and Michelle Nic Phaidin to explore the twisted abuses and the silence of the Catholic Church.Fr. Greene was sentenced to 12 years in prison in May 2000 and was released after serving 9 years.There were 26 victims, most of them altar boys, who served Mass with Fr Eugene Greene in County Donegal between 1965 and 1982. He died in March 2019. Teacher Denis McGinley of Magheraroarty, Gortahork was sentenced to 2 and a half years for sexually abusing pupils. 115 accusations were made about McGinley. He pleaded guilty to 15. McGinley was released after a year and a half in prison.The Tirconnail Tribune spoke with abuse victim Martin Gallagher last week as he made an impassioned call for a convicted abuser to leave the parish and allow the victims to grieve in peace. Read the full article here: Victims of ‘evil’ priest demand second abuser leave Donegal parishHorrors of paedophile priest uncovered in TG4 doc was last modified: October 31st, 2019 by Staff WriterShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:EUGENE GREENEFinnéTG4last_img read more


first_img1 August 2014Centre Benele Makwezela will make her test debut for the Springbok Women in the team’s opening Women’s Rugby World Cup clash against Australia at the French Rugby Federation in Marcoussis on Friday afternoon.Makwezela participated in the Rugby World Cup Sevens in Moscow last year and made her first appearance for the Springbok Women on the team’s Rugby World Cup warm-up tour to London and France in June and July where she featured in the matches against the Nomads.ExperienceNine players in Sephaka’s match 22 played in the 2010 Women’s Rugby World Cup in London, while five of them – captain and number eight Mandisa Williams, flank Lamla Momoti, prop Cebisa Kula, replacement scrumhalf Fundiswa Plaatjie and replacement flyhalf Zandile Nojoko – also participated in the 2006 World Cup in Canada.Five of the players in the squad, meanwhile, made their test debuts against France in July on the warm-up tour, including fullback Cindy Cant and lock Celeste Adonis.‘Horses for courses’“Our approach for this World Cup is horses for courses, and we believe that this team is best suited to the way we would like to play against Australia,” coach Lawrence Sephaka said in a statement.“This match 22 has a good mix of youth and experience, which is ideal. The World Cup experience is particularly important because this is a big occasion for the team and for the individuals, so it is important to have players who can guide the youngsters when necessary.”DelightedSephaka said he was delighted for Makwezela and he hoped the fact that she would play her first test in a Rugby World Cup would make the occasion more memorable.“Benele played very well against the Nomads in London and she was unlucky not to be selected to face France in July,” he added, “but she has put in a lot of extra work since that tour to show us what she is capable of and it paid off.“It is a special moment for any player to make their debut and to achieve this in a World Cup is particularly special, so I wish her the best of luck.”Tough onslaughtZoning in on the match, Sephaka said he expected a tough onslaught from Australia and said his charges had to be strong in all areas of the game to start the World Cup on a high note.The last time the teams met was in the final pool match of the 2010 World Cup and the result was a 0-62 defeat for South Africa. But Sephaka said his team had more to offer this time around.‘A quality team’“Australia are a quality team with skillful backs and powerful forwards, so we will be tested in all facets of our game,” he reckoned. “We are particularly wary of their game-breakers in the backline, and we know that they will punish us if we make mistakes. So it is important for us to deliver solid set pieces and use our possession well.“We also need to remain focused for the full 80 minutes to achieve our goal of starting the World Cup on a strong note. We have worked hard in the last few months to improve our standard of play and if we play to our potential I believe we can do well.”Television broadcastThe match will be broadcast live on SuperSport 1 at 15:45, and can also be livestreamed from www.rwcwomens.com.SPRINGBOK TEAM15 Cindy Cant, 14 Veroeshka Grain, 13 Benele Makwezela, 12 Lorinda Brown, 11 Phumeza Gadu, 10 Zenay Jordaan (vice-captain), 9 Tayla Kinsey, 8 Mandisa Williams (captain), 7 Vuyolwethu Vazi, 6 Lamla Momoti, 5 Cindy Booi, 4 Celeste Adonis, 3 Cebisa Kula, 2 Denita Wentzel, 1 Asithandile NtoyantoSubstitutes16 Thantaswa Macingwana, 17 Nwabisa Ngxatu, 18 Andrea Mentoor, 19 Shona-Leah Weston, 20 Fundiswa Plaatjie, 21 Zandile Nojoko, 22 Siviwe BasweniSAinfo reporterlast_img read more


first_imgPANAJI: The by-election in the Panaji and Valpoi Assembly constituencies in Goa on Wednesday recorded nearly 75% voting. The ruling BJP and the Congress both expressed confidence that they would win the seats.In Panaji, the voter turnout was 70%, much lower than the 77.06% turnout recorded in the February 4 Assembly election. Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar, who had said all along that he was looking to win the election with a big margin, admitted that a lower turnout would reduce his winning margin. At a press conference at the BJP headquarters on Wednesday, Mr. Parrikar complained about the behaviour of Mahila Congress president Pratima Coutinho and others during the election process, and said the turnout had been poor in the rival party’s areas. He expressed confidence, however, of winning the bypoll with a good margin. “Voting percentage was low because the other side had no traction,” Mr. Parrikar said. He claimed that around 98% of the BJP’s voters had cast their votes in both constituencies.In Panaji, Mr. Parrikar was facing the Congress’s Girish Chodankar and Goa Suraksha Manch’s Anand Shirodkar. Election Commission officials attributed the comparatively low turnout in Panaji to the Ganesh festival, which will begin on Friday.Polling ended at 7 p.m., and according to the Chief Electoral Officer, the voting percentage in Valpoi was 79.80, as against the 86.29% turnout recorded in February. Health Minister Vishwajit Rane is contesting against the Congress’s Roy Naik in the constituency.Polling was by and large peaceful, barring two minor altercations in each constituency. Mr. Parrikar said he was satisfied with the conduct of the poll authorities, even as the Congress alleged that election officials were biased in favour of the BJP.Mr. Chodankar told reporters on Wednesday, “In Panaji, I was fighting alone, while Mr. Parrikar was backed by his ministers and the poll officials. It was not a fair contest.”He said that in Panaji, the altercation between former BJP MLA Sidharth Kuncolienkar and Ms. Coutinho was not handled well by poll officials. “They shoved around our women workers and the poll officials failed to act swiftly and justly,” he said. Mr. Chodankar also claimed that voters in Panaji and Valpoi had voted for change, and in anger. “People want change. They will throw out the Chief Minister and the Health Minister. We are confident of winning both seats,” the All India Congress Committee secretary said.Former Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) chief Subhash Velingkar said the RSS cadre had not worked for Mr. Parrikar.“RSS workers will not vote for him, and our Anand Shirodkar will win this election, with a small margin,” Mr. Velingkar said. Mr. Velingkar had rebelled against the RSS ahead of the February Assembly election over the medium of instruction in primary schools. He later returned to the RSS fold, and continues to mentor the regional outfit of the Goa Suraksha Manch (GSM). However, the GSM is opposing the BJP-led government over its continuation of grants to English media primary schools and other issues, like government patronage to casinos in the Mandovi river.Counting of votes in both constituencies will be held on Monday.last_img read more


first_imgThe film community expressed outrage after producers Viacom 18 Movie Productions deferred the release of Sanjay Leela Bhansalli’s historical film Padmavati amid spreading protests.National Award winning actor Shabana Azmi said, “Are we fools to not see thru the design of fomenting unrest and polarising votes? I am very angry. The film industry needs to take a strong unified action and refuse to be sitting ducks anymore.”Ms. Azmi, reacting to threats being issued to the film, lead actor Deepika Padukone and director Sanjay Leela Bhansali, said, “If such threats had been made against any member of the political class, would the reaction have been the same? Are the people in the film industry not equal citizens of this country?”Reacting to the producers’ decision, filmmaker Anurag Kashyap said, “It’s infuriating. It’s a shame and it’s harrowing. I don’t have words to articulate my anger.”‘Not unexpected’Director Hansal Mehta lamented that “bullies had prevailed again” and said people had resigned themselves to government inaction on such issues. Mr Mehta expressed concern over filmmakers being targeted and said the stand taken by the government in the Padmavati and IFFI row [dropping of films selected by the jury] was “disappointing but not unexpected”.“After all what is a film compared to elections? S Durga, Nude and Padmavati’to begin with. Many more to come…”“I was told by many industry leaders that it was a wise strategy to delay Padmavati. Truth is that people have resigned themselves to government inaction in the face of such blatant terror. The only advice given is to shut up, retreat and accept these attacks,” Mr Mehta said.“So SLB (Bhansali) should show the film to those who threaten to have him beheaded? And get their approval?” he wrote.Sad day: IFTDAThe Indian Film and Television Directors’ Association (IFTDA) member Ashoke Pandit described it as a sad day for Indian cinema and freedom of expression.“This is just the beginning and it has set a bad precedent to films of the future,” he said.IFTDA along with other industry bodies such as Cine And TV Artists Association (CINTAA) and Screenwriters Association had last week protested the harassment meted to filmmakers through the extra-constitutional censoring by fringe groups.Mr. Pandit also disagreed with CBFC Chairman Prasoon Joshi’s criticism of the film being screened for select journalists ahead of certification, saying a filmmaker has the right to screen it whomsoever he pleases. “Private screenings are an industry practice and do not hinder the certification process. I do not think the film makers did anything wrong by screening it to certain media outlets,” he said.Directors Anurag Basu and Nikkhil Advani also took to social media to support Mr. Bhansali.“It’s bizarre! The whole Padmavati row is based on just presumptions. Protestors have not seen a single frame of the film yet, but they know that history has been tampered! How?”last_img read more


first_imgKutch, India’s largest district, is in the grip of one of the worst droughts. The western and northern Banni areas of this Gujarat district have been without rain for the third continuous year.“Our data of over 12 years shows that during this drought the migration of the Maldhari tribal herders with their livestock has been very high,” says Ramesh Bhatti, programme director of Sahjivan Trust, Bhuj.“In their quest for water, people of Sheth Vandh in Banni get together, pray and start digging. Those in the surrounding villagers also join in,” says Abdul Rauf Mutwa, a local leader. Why has drought hit the Maldharis of Kutch so hard this year? Before Partition, the Maldharis used to migrate to Sindh during droughts, recalls Jumma Sama, a former sarpanch of Ratadia village.The drought has not spared Khadir island along the India-Pakistan border either.Jilubha Sodha of Dholavira in Khadir, who runs a cattle camp, says water from a branch canal of the Narmada project would be very valuable at such times, but it has not yet reached the area.(Images and text by Vijay Soneji)last_img read more