first_imgPunjab Chief Minister Captain Amarinder Singh on Monday held a video conference from Israel with senior State officials to review the situation following the train mishap in Amritsar, while the Shiromani Akali Dal and Bharatiya Janta Party alleged that inaction against the organisers of the Dussehra event indicated that the government was not keen on punishing the guilty.SAD president Sukhbir Singh Badal and State BJP president Shwait Malik demanded a judicial inquiry by a sitting judge of the Punjab and Haryana High Court into the mishap.“A non-consequential case under Section 304-A had been registered against unidentified persons with regard to the Dussehra tragedy. This itself proves that the Congress government has launched a cover up exercise to save the guilty,” the leaders said at a press conference.SAD leader Jagir Kaur alleged that the announcement of magisterial inquiry into the train mishap by Capt. Amarinder Singh was an attempt to douse inflamed sentiments on the failure of the district administration and the organisers.“Government should appoint a sitting high court judge to probe the incident and identify the guilty if the Congress government is keen that the truth come out and guilty be punished,” she said in a statement.She added that Captain Singh’s visit to Israel reflects on his gross apathy, insensitivity and indifference to the woes of victims’ families.The Chief Minister, during the video conference, asked officials to expedite the process of disbursement of the compensation for those killed in the tragedy. Besides, he asked the officials to complete the socio-economic profiling of the victims at the earliest so that their rehabilitation could be taken up on priority.Meanwhile, a video message of the key organiser of the event, Saurabh Madan Mithu, who has gone into hiding, was released on the social media. In his message, he can be heard saying he was pained by the tragedy but was being unfairly targeted. He claimed that all the necessary permissions were taken for the event. “Several announcements were also made by us asking people not to stand on the railway tracks,” said Mr. Madan.last_img read more


first_imgThe Lalit Modi-BCCI feud has ended up costing Indian batting legend Sunil Gavaskar, whose payments for the work he did as an IPL Governing Council member are yet to be released.Gavaskar was part of IPL’s governing council between 2008-2010 and had been promised Rs 4 crore per year, over and above the Rs 1 crore for coming on board, by the then BCCI chief Sharad Pawar — a commitment which the present administration has not fulfilled till now.The public stance of the BCCI has been that the amount in question was a whimsical decision by the then IPL commissioner Lalit Modi.The fresh ammunition to the controversy was provided by Modi himself in an interview where he stated that the present BCCI President Shashank Manohar has not honoured the commitment to Gavaskar.”The money was promised to Gavaskar, it was agreed upon, it was on drafting stage of agreement (before the then set-up of IPL was changed). It’s been sitting on BCCI chief’s desk for years,” Modi said in a rare television interview earlier this week.Gavaskar, who is here on a commentary assignment, said, “Lalit (Modi) is only reiterating the facts of the matter. Since the first IPL was round the corner, I was informed that the paperwork and the formalities would be completed soon.”Mr Pawar had promised to have a meeting with his successor in BCCI and me but it’s been a hectic few seasons and so it hasn’t taken place.””However, since it is a commitment, made by the then BCCI president, I am sure, the matter will be sorted out to everyone’s satisfaction. I have full faith in Mr Pawar and BCCI in doing the right thing,” he added.advertisement- With PTI inputslast_img read more