first_imgThis semester, more travel options are available for students looking for a ride. Following a pilot program last year, Uber is now officially allowed on campus, according to Notre Dame Security Police chief Keri Kei Shibata.Previously, Uber drivers could only pick up students at public access points, like main circle and library circle. Now, they are treated the same as cab drivers and allowed to go directly to student dorms and other locations on campus to pick up students.Shibata said the newness of Uber as a service for students was a red flag for the administration, so they wanted to take a close look at it before fully approving it. After the success of pilot program during the spring semester of 2016, Shibata said Uber proved it should be treated the same as cabs.“It’s just a new program, and we weren’t sure what the impact might be,” she said. “And so we allowed them to come on campus and closely monitored to make sure there weren’t any problems.”The rationale for slowly introducing Uber was more about practical than safety concerns, Shibata said.“It was partially for security and partially because space is limited on campus, and we weren’t sure how large the demand would be,” she said.Shibata said the University allows all cabs licensed by the city of South Bend to access campus and pick up passengers.“If there were any companies we had continuing problems with, we would restrict their access,” she said. “But so far, there haven’t been any.”The rise of Uber has led to some students taking on roles as drivers. Off-campus junior David Connelly said he started driving for Uber after an upperclassmen recommended he try it.“I just drive whenever I’m not too busy, and it’s a good way to make money for study abroad,” he said.While Uber has increased in popularity, Shibata said cabs still remain the most frequent choice for students and can sometimes lead to safety issues because they often cram in more students than they have seats for.“There are some forms of vehicles that are exempt from having a seat belt in every position,” she said.“But regardless, it’s not safe for there to be more passengers than there are seats.”While this practice is not illegal under Indiana State law — which exempts cabs from seat belt requirements, along with other public transportations like buses — Shibata said NDSP wants to discourage this potentially dangerous practice. Because Notre Dame is private property and NDSP is a private police force, cabs can be pulled over and targeted for overcrowding when on Notre Dame’s campus.“When they’re on campus, we have the ability to say that’s not acceptable,” she said.Tags: Cabs, NDSP, transportation, Uberlast_img read more


first_imgPhoto courtesy of Sports InformationNever say die · Sophomore Robynn Ree led the team at 5-under on Tuesday to help the Women of Troy to a 13-stroke comeback victory.Entering the final round of play Tuesday morning at the ANNIKA Intercollegiate in Orlando, the No. 2 women’s golf team was tied for fourth in the team standings with No. 4 Georgia at 12-under. USC trailed then-leading No. 1 UCLA by 13 strokes to begin Tuesday’s final round of play at the Reunion Resort.In the third round on Tuesday, USC recorded a team score of 12-under and clinched first place at the ANNIKA Intercollegiate for the second consecutive season. Overall, the Women of Troy won the tournament with a team score of 24-under; formerly leading UCLA finished in third place (-20) after shooting 5-over in the final round Tuesday.“We know that every one of these girls is capable of shooting a low round,” head coach Andrea Gaston said. “The hardest part about the game of golf is forgetting what happened yesterday and starting fresh today; getting yourself in the right state of mind to play a great game of golf.”Sophomore Robynn Ree shot a team-best 5-under in Tuesday’s final round. Ree finished the tournament tied for 17th overall with a final score of 4-under.“[Ree] has a great way about her — she’s a fast player, and she’s a smart player,” Gaston said. “She made some really solid adjustments out there and boom, she ended up shooting a 5-under for us.”The Women of Troy’s top-scorer in the tournament was redshirt senior Victoria Morgan, who finished at 7-under; this score tied her for eighth overall in the tournament’s individual leaderboard.“[Our team] knew that if we each individually just played our own games, then we had a chance to win,” Morgan said.  “We all believed in ourselves, but [when we actually won], there was a feeling of utter surprise … I’ve been playing here for four years, and we’ve never come back like this, and I don’t think I’ve seen any other team come back like this.”All five USC golfers finished in the top 25 of the player leaderboard at ANNIKA this week.A 4-under performance from senior Karen Chung in the final round Tuesday propelled her to a 25th-place finish overall in the tournament (-2). Seniors Tiffany Chan and Gabriella Then finished the tournament tied for 17th (-4) along with Ree.“It’s a great feeling knowing that we are the defending champions [of this ANNIKA tournament] now,” Gaston said. “[Winning here] is definitely a very great and exciting way to start off our season.”Following the season-opening ANNIKA Intercollegiate win, the team will next travel to the Glen View Club in Chicago to compete at the Windy City Collegiate Classic on Oct. 3-4.last_img read more


first_imgHe could also devote more time to his philanthropic pursuits, taking care of terminally ill children at his New Mexico ranch. His last radio appearance Thursday was to raise money for three charities; over the last 18 years, the Imus-hosted Radiothon raised more than $40 million. CBS Radio spokeswoman Karen Mateo declined to comment on any aspects of Imus’ contract. She also refused to discuss the fate of other regulars on the canceled program, including producer Bernard McGuirk and longtime Imus friend and sidekick Charles McCord. Filling Imus’ slot Monday morning will be Francesa and longtime partner Chris “Mad Dog” Russo, Mateo said. The successful afternoon drive-time pair, New York’s top sports radio duo, will perform double-duty for the next two weeks until a permanent plan is in place, she said. Westwood One (managed and partly owned by CBS Corp.), which syndicated the Imus show, did not return a call about replacement programming on the 60 other stations that carried the program. Comic Dennis Miller, who started a syndicated show in January, was mentioned as one candidate. Speculation about Imus immediately centered on satellite radio. Howard Stern, the I-Man’s broadcasting bete noir, found freedom and a fortune by moving to Sirius Satellite Radio Inc. And shock jocks Opie and Anthony, booted from terrestrial radio in 2002, returned to XM Satellite Radio Holdings Inc. two years later – and now do morning shows on both satellite and FM radio.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! NEW YORK – Back on the radio? Or off to retirement? Answers about the future were hard to come by Friday, when 66-year-old radio legend Don Imus spent his first day of unemployment after nearly 40 years in silence – a change from his repeated apologies and media appearances of the last week. The biggest question was whether he would try rehabilitating his image or simply slip into obscurity. Both options held certain appeals for the I-Man, who was fired for a racist and sexist remark about the Rutgers women’s basketball team and took just eight days to morph from “Imus In the Morning” into “Jimmy the Greek” Snyder. The Greek never landed another job after his 1988 firing as a CBS football analyst for racially tinged remarks. Before either happens, Imus will sit down with officials from CBS Radio to work out the financial details surrounding his abrupt dismissal. Imus recently negotiated a new five-year CBS contract that reportedly paid him $10 million a year. (Imus had no contract with cable network MSNBC – a unit of NBC Universal, owned by General Electric Co. – which simulcast his show in a licensing deal with CBS.) “I see many people in suits with briefcases haggling over Imus’ contracts,” said Tom Taylor, editor of the trade publication Inside Radio. “I see a lot of that. There’s a lot of money on the table in this thing, and a lot of issues.” Once they’re settled, Imus presumably could try to restart his career on radio – either satellite or terrestrial – or perhaps on television. A new gig would provide Imus with another opportunity for his career to rise phoenixlike as it has in the past – surviving and thriving despite firings, drug and alcohol woes, on-air controversies and a raunchy 1996 Washington appearance where he questioned President Clinton’s sexual fidelity – with the first lady in attendance. “I don’t believe for a second that you won’t hear from him again,” said fellow WFAN-AM host Mike Francesa, a die-hard Imus backer, on his Friday afternoon program. Or retirement beckons, perhaps with a multimillion-dollar golden parachute floated by CBS. Imus could spend more time with 8-year-old son Wyatt at either his $30 million beachfront home in Connecticut or his penthouse apartment with its 1,400-square-foot terrace on Central Park West. last_img read more