first_imgOverlooked before the season in the Big East, the No. 3-ranked Syracuse men’s basketball team has cleaned house.On Tuesday, Jim Boeheim was named Big East Coach of the Year and Wes Johnson was awarded Big East Player of the Year. Syracuse plays the winner of Georgetown vs. South Florida on Thursday in the quarterfinal round of the Big East tournament.Before this season, Syracuse was predicted to finish sixth in conference — widely billed as a wild card with replenished pieces. After finishing as the Big East’s outright regular-season champions, the Orange (28-3) has reeled in the hardware.Boeheim was honored for SU’s unlikely turnaround, while Johnson leads the balanced team in points per game (15.7), rebounds (8.5) and minutes (34.5). Johnson is the first transfer from a Division I school to win the award and the fourth-ever Syracuse winner. Hakim Warrick (2005), Billy Owens (1991) and Derrick Coleman (1990) have also won. A day earlier, Kris Joseph was named the Big East’s Sixth Man of the Year.Among a field of premier scorers — such as Villanova’s Scottie Reynolds, Notre Dame’s Luke Harangody and South Florida’s Dominique Jones — Johnson’s overall game stood out. Fighting through injuries, he has handled a wealth of minutes while scoring in double figures in 28 of Syracuse’s 31 games.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textFor Boeheim, this is simply more hardware. As the winningest coach in Big East history, he also won Coach of the Year in 1984, 1991 and 2000. For Johnson, the news was somewhat surprising considering his numbers have ebbed of late. After a furious start, he has been hobbled by a pair of injuries.The aftershock of a head-over-heels spill against Providence and a hand injury against Connecticut has hurt Johnson’s shot. He is averaging 12.3 points in his last nine games. Others, namely Andy Rautins, have picked up the slack. Johnson recently campaigned for Rautins to win the award.thdunne@syr.edu  Facebook Twitter Google+ Commentscenter_img Published on March 9, 2010 at 12:00 pmlast_img read more


first_img– 2nd ECD woman to be killed within 1 weekShamaine Frank, a janitor of Lot 317 Victoria Village, ECD, was stabbed to death by the father of her three children at her home in the village in the wee hours of Sunday morning.Murdered on Sunday: Shamaine FrankBased on information received, the suspect was seen entering the 27-year-old woman’s yard at about 3:00h on Sunday, and was ordered by the victim’s brother to leave the premises, because of the abuse his sister had suffered at the hands of this suspect.This brother has told investigators that, shortly thereafter, he heard screams, and went to his sister’s aid. He thus discovered her with a stab wound to her left side breast; and upon inspection, he also discovered that three louvre panes had been removed from a window. It is believed that the suspect gained entry into the house by removing the louvre panes. After committing this act, the suspect reportedly departed through a back door, which was discovered open.It is believed that the suspect and the victim were engaged in an argument when the victim was attacked and fatally stabbed.The injured woman was taken to the Georgetown Public Hospital, where she was pronounced dead on arrival. The suspect, meanwhile, has since gone into hiding. He works in the hinterland, and investigators believe he might be heading there.Guyana Times understands that Frank and the suspect had been together for quite some time, during which she had constantly been subjected to abuse; but, for the sake of her three children, she had repeatedly forgiven him for abusing her.The couple had recently rented an apartment at Mon Repos, ECD, but because the abuse had continued, Frank had returned to the home she had shared with her siblings.Murdered on Wednesday last:Vinetta Headley-JamesThis, Guyana Times was told, had an impact on the children, and the Welfare Department of the Social Protection Ministry had been called in. The couple had been instructed to seek counselling in order to reconcile their relationship, but the abuse had continued.Spousal murdersThis is the second spousal murder committed within one week. Just a few days ago, 44-year-old Vinetta Headley-James, a late clothes vendor and mother of eight, was attacked and stabbed to death at Nabaclis, ECD by her husband, who had accused her of infidelity.It has been reported that, two Sundays ago, the now dead woman was attacked by her husband and stabbed to the face and neck, but had managed to escape with her life.On Wednesday last, he returned to the home but, to his dismay, found his wife in the process of putting his belongings out of the house. He reportedly had requested that the woman cease putting his belongings out of the home, but the woman had continued so doing.This allegedly angered the suspect, who reportedly armed himself with a knife from the kitchen and attacked his wife, fatally wounding her to the neck. Rushed to the Nabaclis Hospital, she succumbed while receiving treatment.The suspect was later discovered lying in a clump of bushes close to the house with a self-inflicted stab wound to his neck. He was rushed to the Georgetown Public Hospital, where he was treated and later handed over to the Police.He is yet to be charged for the murder.last_img read more


first_img1 1 Everton face Young Boys at Goodison Park GoalkeeperTim Howard’s dip in form has seen a number of observers to call of him to be dropped, but it looks as though Martinez will stand by his under-fire star.DefenceWhile Martinez might be tempted to rest some of his first choice players, it seems as though he will opt for a strong backline. Despite conceding against Young Boys last time out, the Toffees’ backline should have a relatively trouble-free evening. With John Stones suspended, the only expected change is Antolin Alcaraz, who could get the nod.MidfieldAaron Lennon featured prominently in training, but the on-loan wideman remains cup-tied, so will no feature. One player who is desperate to feature though is Gareth Barry. The midfielder has struggled this season and recently spoke of a determination to retrun to form.AttackMartinez was forced to go on the defensive yet again in his pre-match press conference, this time backing striker Romelu Lukaku, who followed his first-leag hat-trick heroics with a poor display against Leicester. The Belgian is therefore expected to be selected, as is youngster Christian Atsu, who recently spoke of a desire to use his African Cup of Nations success to kick start his season.Everton fans, how do you think you’ll line-up this evening? Comment below… In the end it was a relatively trouble-free victory, as Everton eased to a 4-1 victory over Young Boys in their Europa League last-32 first leg clash. With such a healthy aggregate though, it seems as though the only ones standing in the way of the Toffees and the tournament’s last-16 is themselves, a problem Roberto Martinez’s team have encountered one too many times this season.Martinez will be the first to admit that his side have been the football equivalent of Jekyll and Hyde, with their domestic and European forms polar opposites.While their league form continues to disappoint – Everton have won just one of their last ten matches – when it comes to European competition, there have been few better teams than the Merseysiders.With a Premier League clash against Arsenal on the horizon, Martinez would be forgiven for placing more focus on his worrying league position, but how could that affect Everton’s line-up this evening?last_img read more


first_imgThe Taoiseach arrives amidst tight security with protesters in the background. Pic by Northwest Newspix.A major Garda operation involving Taoiseach Enda Kenny’s visit to the MacGill Summer School in Glenties has passed off without any major incident this evening.About 75 protestors heckled the Fine Gael leader as he entered the Highlands Hotel.Garda block off the Main Street in Glenties. Pic by Northwest Newspix.It follows a major Garda operation which involved more than 50 officers including undercover detectives, the Garda helicopter and two units of the regional response unit. Many of the protesters carried banners mocking Mr Kenny.However, crowd control barriers erected earlier today along the town’s Main Street ensure that protesters never got close to the Taoiseach.Mr Kenny left shortly before 9pm as protesters continue to chant his name.At times the Garda presence outnumbered the protesters! Pic by Northwest Newspix.The large Garda presence in Glenties as the Taoiseach laves. Pic by Nortwest Nwspix.MAJOR GARDA OPERATION AS PROTEST AGAINST TAOISEACH PASSES OFF PEACEFULLY was last modified: July 25th, 2015 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:donegalEnda KennyGlentiesprotestTaosieach Enda Kennylast_img read more