first_imgTopics : Rochester, New York’s police chief abruptly resigned on Tuesday along with his command staff, saying there had been a “mischaracterization and politicization” of his actions following the death of Daniel Prude in police custody.Rochester Mayor Lovely Warren told a City Council meeting that she had not asked Chief La’Ron Singletary to resign, though she said there was “information that was brought to light today that I have not previously seen before.” She did not elaborate.Rochester, a city of 200,000 people on Lake Ontario, erupted with protests last week after the Prude family released body camera footage showing officers had used a mesh hood and pinned Prude, a 41-year-old Black man, to the pavement during the March arrest. “The mischaracterization and the politicization of the actions that I took after being informed of Mr. Prude’s death is not based on facts, and is not what I stand for.”Warren, who has also come under pressure for the handling of Prude’s arrest and death, said Singletary’s deputy, Joseph Morabito, had also retired and that “there may be a number of others that will decide to leave as well.”The mayor said she was unsure when the retirements would take effect.Free the People ROC, a local Black Lives Matter group, welcomed the resignations in a Facebook post but demanded more.”Let’s keep the pressure up until all those responsible for Daniel Prude’s murder and cover up — including Mayor Lovely Warren – have resigned, taken responsibility and donated their pensions to the families they allowed to be harmed,” it wrote.Warren apologized to the Prude family last week and suggested she had been misled by Singletary – an allegation he denied. Singletary also pointed to his ordering of an internal investigation soon after the incident.The Rochester police union’s head, Michael Mazzeo, defended the officers last week, saying they followed procedure in using the so-called “spit hood,” necessary because Prude claimed he had the coronavirus. Mazzeo also said Singletary’s office told him after the arrest there were “no concerns” with the officers’ actions.center_img The release of the footage five months after Prude’s death had raised questions of a possible cover-up and turned Rochester into the latest flashpoint in a summer of protests over racial injustice first sparked by George Floyd’s May 25 death.Seven police officers involved in the arrest were suspended last week. The medical examiner ruled Prude’s death a homicide by asphyxiation, with the drug PCP a contributing factor. He was having a psychotic episode when he was arrested.Black Lives Matter activists had called for Singletary’s resignation. But as recently as Sunday, amid a weekend of demonstrations, he had said he intended to stay on, and Warren backed him. Both he and the mayor are Black.”As a man of integrity, I will not sit idly by while outside entities attempt to destroy my character,” Singletary said in a statement, noting his 20 years on the force.last_img read more


first_img Sharing is caring! 15 Views   no discussions LocalNews Opposition Leader wants details on Layou River restoration contracts by: – October 31, 2011 Share Sharecenter_img Tweet Share Leader of the Opposition, Hon. Hector John. Image via: uwpdm.comLeader of the Opposition United Workers Party Hector John has indicated that his party need information with respect to the companies contracted to dredge the Layou River following the collapse of the Matthieu Dam in July.The Matthieu Dam which collapsed on the 27th of July, 2011 caused the Layou River to overflow its banks and as a result damaged properties, agriculture, livestock and businesses.Disaster Management Officials have warned that due to the rise in the river bed, the Layou area is prone to flash flooding and have erected signs to warn the general public.Mr John told a press conference with media workers last week that the Opposition UWP requires the government to explain the terms of the contracts awarded and to whom.“After three months of the disaster of the Matthieu Dam we are hearing that the government from Monday has contractors on the river doing some excavation. We would like to know the name of the companies on the river, the terms and conditions of the contracts with these companies on the Layou River.”John further stated that the government also needs to inform the public whether they have made arrangements with land owners in Layou in order that their property could be used for stock-piling of the excess silt.“We also would like to find out if there were agreements with the land owners on the banks of the river because you have a lot of stock piling to do and you need property to do that if you want to clear the river, he said.Mr John also stated that “we would also like to find out who is the government engineer responsible to oversee the excavation works on the Layou River”.According to John these points are pertinent and need to be clarified as the Layou River situation is a serious one which affects the entire west coast communities.“It is very important and we need to get some information because we have not heard anything coming to the public on what is going on at the Layou River. We are just seeing barcoes and heavy equipments on the Layou River so we need some clarificationMeantime John says the livelihood of the residents of Layou have been affected since the collapse in July.“It is a serious, serious disaster affecting the people in that area especially farmers, they do not have access to their farms in Layou Park area and we do not have access to the country through that interior road. The livelihood of the people of Layou, the fishing, agriculture and also employment opportunity for the young men of Layou and St. Joseph who worked on the Layou River during the tourist season in terms of river tubing; all these people are at home.”According to Mr John, “farmers were promised $500.00 each by the government sometime in August they had that meeting in St. Joseph and they have not received that, we had damage to our Agricultural Station on the west coast; the only one in the Layou Valley area and to damaged private property”.Dominica Vibes Newslast_img read more


first_img UKGC launches fourth National Lottery licence competition August 28, 2020 Camelot aims for ‘Big September’ supporting a high street recovery August 26, 2020 2020 will see a battle of titanic egos and high stakes take place, as the UK Gambling Commission (UKGC) launches its tender to operate the fourth National Lottery contract from 2023.Monitoring early developments, UK media has branded the National Lottery tender as one of 2020’s most intriguing business narratives, as incumbent Camelot defends its position against hostile competitors seeking to end its 25-year reign.This weekend, The Daily Telegraph reported that billionaire Sir Richard Branson – founder and chairman of Virgin -would enter UKGC proceedings by launching his third attempt to secure the National Lottery.Riding champion stud Desert Orchid to Parliament in 1994, Branson launched his first ‘People’s Lottery’ campaign promising to ‘return all profits to charity’.The People’s Lottery bid would be declined by the Major Conservative government, who would back the formation of a ‘Camelot operating vehicle’ formed by ICL, Racal Electronics, Cadbury Schweppes and De La Rue in partnership with GTech as lead lottery systems supplier.Branson would contest the National Lottery’s second tender in 2000 by re-launching the ‘People’s Lottery’ bid, this time re-energised by the support of Compaq Microsoft and Kellogg’s.However, an acrimonious bid against Camelot would be rejected by the Blair Labour government, which in its review underlined that the People’s Lottery had failed to demonstrate the hardware capacity capable of running a national lottery retail network – a factor Branson deemed as foul play by Camelot backers.Having won back-to-back contracts in 1994, 2001 and 2009, securing the 2020 National Lottery tender will be Camelot’s biggest challenge to date, having faced recent political and media backlash regarding its fundraising and operations.In 2018, a Public Accounts Committee (PAC) report detailed that National Lottery funding for good causes had fallen by 15%, despite Camelot increasing yearly profits by £39 million.Furthermore, Camelot has been criticised for placing too much emphasis on its scratch card inventory, whilst its attempts to revive the National Lottery main draw were criticised by players for adding a further 10 balls to the format, which in turn inflated the odds of hitting jackpots and increased the number of weekly roll-overs.Taking the fight to Camelot, newspaper tycoon Richard Desmond has instructed his Northern & Shell publishing group to launch a tech-savvy bid for the National Lottery in 2020.The outspoken billionaire criticised the government for allowing Camelot to maintain its position as lead lottery operator when the company was sold to The Ontario Teachers’ Pension Fund in 2010 for £390 million.Desmond maintains that the National Lottery should be operated by the British business stakeholders, rather than as an investment asset for a Canadian pension. Furthermore, in 2012 Camelot lost its UK High Court appeal against Northern & Shell, after challenging the UK publishers lottery format Health Lottery.Securing interest beyond British shores, further parties reported to be developing bids include Dutch lottery incumbent Novamedia BV, the operator of European Postcode Lotteries and a restructured Czech gambling conglomerate SAZKA Group, which this summer secured a majority stake in Greek operator OPAP.Entering 2020, the UK business community waits for the UKGC to publish its tender framework, in which the regulator will be supported by investment bank Rothschilds, auditor EY, management consultancy Deloitte and Law firm Hogan Lovells – four companies appointed to run the bidding process. StumbleUpon Related Articles Share Share Submit National Lottery Community Fund issues £14m in Climate Action grants August 24, 2020last_img read more