first_imgThe National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) has asked the West Bengal government to pay ₹25,000 in compensation to the father of a girl of North 24 Paraganas district for police inaction after she was allegedly abducted and trafficked by a Bangladeshi national. “Hence, issue a notice under Section 18(a)(i) of the Protection of Human Rights Act, 1993, to the Government of West Bengal, through its Chief Secretary, requiring it to show cause, within six weeks, as to why the Commission should not recommend payment of ₹25000/- as compensation to the father of the victim girl,” the order said. Kirity Roy, secretary of a human rights organisation, told The Hindu that the show-cause notice means the State has to pay the compensation.” The incident took place on April 6, 2014, when the girl, aged about 14, left home at Taranipur, informing her parents that she was going to the market. But she did not return. “On June 7, 2014 at 11.30 a.m., the father of the victim girl went to the Swarupnagar police station with a written complaint that a Bangladeshi man, named Harun, has abducted and trafficked his daughter to Mumbai, but his complaint was not registered,” the NHRC order said.last_img read more


first_imgThe Odisha government is taking measures to face the extremely severe cyclonic storm Fani, which is likely to hit the State’s coast in the Puri district on Friday evening.Twelve senior officials were on Wednesday assigned for supervision of restoration works in the coastal districts of Puri, Khurda, Jagatsinghpur, Kendrapara, Jajpur, Bhadrak, Balasore and Cuttack. All concerned departments were also pressed into service to focus on saving lives and property in case of any eventuality. The State government’s Health Department has set up control rooms at all levels of administration.‘Foremost priority’“Evacuation and rescue of people likely to be affected to safe places, restoration of road communication immediately after cyclone, and proper distribution of relief materials with zero casualties are is the foremost priority of Odisha Police,” said State Director General of Police R. P. Sharma.Also Read As cyclone Fani approaches, RTGS warns against selfies near the sea  While the District Collectors were busy preparing the administration to evacuate people from villages close to the sea or villages alongside the rivers from Thursday, senior police officers have been sent to the coastal districts to coordinate with the district administration and other connected line agencies and field functionaries for rescue and relief operations.MCC suspendedThe office of the Chief Electoral Officer (CEO), Odisha has also taken several measures to ensure the safety of the electronic voting machines (EVM) in the constituencies along the coastal region of the State, where simultaneous Lok Sabha and Assembly elections were held recently. The Election Commission of India (ECI) has suspended the model code of conduct (MCC) from 11 coastal districts of the State to facilitate relief and rescue operations. Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik had on Tuesday urged the ECI to lift the MCC for this.Also Read  Mr. Patnaik had also urged the ECI to postpone polling in the Patkura Assembly constituency under Kendrapara Lok Sabha seat. The ECI had earlier fixed May 19 as the date for the polling in Patkura. Polling in the constituency, which was scheduled to be held on April 29, was adjourned due to the death of Biju Janata Dal nominee Bed Prakash Agarwalla on April 20. The Commission had not passed any order in this regard till Wednesday afternoon.Cancellation, reschedulingAs many as 74 trains have been cancelled by the East Coast Railway between Bhadrak and Vizianagaram from Thursday in view of the cyclone. Examinations scheduled in all colleges under the Biju Patnaik University of Technology (BPUT), scheduled to be held on May, 2, 3 and 4, have been rescheduled to May 25, 27 and 28 respectively.According to the Odisha State Disaster Management Authority (OSDMA), Cyclone Fani lies over west-central and adjoining southwest Bay of Bengal, about 680 km south-south-west of Puri on Wednesday. It is likely to have landfall in Puri district coast on Friday with a maximum sustained wind of speed 170-180 kmph gusting to 200 kmph.The districts of Ganjam, Puri, Khurda, Cuttack and Jagatsinghpur may experience extremely heavy rainfall during the landfall. Cyclone Fani: INCOIS warns of damage along east coastlast_img read more


first_imgSports persons and officials hold Queen’s Baton at Qutub Minar in New delhi on Friday.The Commonwealth Games seems to be finally catching up with Delhi’ites as the Queen’s Baton reached the host city.The baton, which has been around the world in the 71 Commonwealth countries in a journey that took almost a year, was hosted by the three armed forces on Friday morning at the India Gate, in a ceremony that showcased all the pomp and pageantry associated with the Services.There were schoolchildren to add vibrancy and enthusiasm to the occasion and even the early morning timing could not deter them from showing their excitement.The armed forces band provided its own unique setting for the event.The baton had to rise early as it was taken to Vijay Chowk at 7 am from where it made its way to the Amar Jawan Jyoti.It then travelled to other landmarks of the city – the Lotus Temple, Teen Murti Bhawan, Qutab Minar and the Delhi Secretariat.On Saturday, it will be at Gurdwara Rakab Ganj Sahib and St. Columba’s Cathedral – before paying a visit to the Games Village.Other places the baton, which carries a message from the British monarch, will go to are Rajghat, Jama Masjid, Akshardham Temple and the Red Fort.The journey will end at the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium on Sunday, where the 19th Commonwealth Games will be declared open on Sunday. Queen Elizabeth’s message will be read aloud at the opening ceremony of the Games.advertisementThe nearly 20,000km the baton has travelled is the longest relay in its history. It also has the facility to capture images and sounds as it travels around the nations of the Commonwealth. With Global Positioning System technology, it can be tracked down to its exact location.The relay is said to symbolise the unity and shared ideals of the Commonwealth.The relay was launched on October 29 last year at Buckingham Palace in London, with Queen Elizabeth II handing the baton to President Pratibha Devisingh Patil.The first Baton bearer was rifle shooter Abhinav Bindra, India’s first individual Olympic gold medallist, making the country proud at Beijing in 2008.Bindra began the baton’s journey with a relay around the Queen Victoria Monument. The first team of baton bearers included Sebastian Coe, Kapil Dev, Sania Mirza, Milka Singh, Kelly Holmes, Vijender Kumar and Susan Gilroy, to name a few.Organising Committee chairman Suresh Kalmadi had the thrill of holding the baton and walking down the Rajpath.”I’m feeling very proud about the baton. It’s come all the way from London, covering a distance of 190,000 kilometres without a blemish,” said Kalmadi.last_img read more


first_imgLATEST STORIES SEA Games hosting troubles anger Duterte “Wala. Kulitan lang yung kay Terrence. Alam mo naman yun makulit,” Pogoy told reporters.(It’s nothing. We were just fooling around. We all know Terrence, he’s playful.)Romeo, who was traded to the Beermen in the offseason four months ago, ended up having the last laugh after scoring 14 points to help his team steamroll the KaTropa, 96-86, and secure a semifinals seat.Pogoy led TNT with 16 points that went with five rebounds and a block.ADVERTISEMENT Hontiveros presses for security audit of national power grid Panelo: Duterte ‘angry’ with SEA Games hosting hassles DA eyes importing ‘galunggong’ anew Private companies step in to help SEA Games hosting Cayetano: Senate, Drilon to be blamed for SEA Games mess Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Philippine Arena Interchange inauguratedcenter_img Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. MOST READ ‘Excited’ Terrence Romeo out to cherish first PBA finals appearance PLAY LIST 01:30’Excited’ Terrence Romeo out to cherish first PBA finals appearance00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss Terrence Romeo and Roger Pogoy go head to head. Photo by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netMANILA, Philippines—San Miguel Beer guard Terrence Romeo and his former team TNT had a well-documented fallout that it’s no secret the two sides have bad blood between each other.With Beermen and the KaTropa sharing long history as rivals, it didn’t come as a surprise that for several instances in their do-or-die Game 3 on Wednesday, the players-one way or another-got into each others’ heads.ADVERTISEMENT Romeo and ex-teammate Roger Pogoy nearly reached their boiling point late in the first quarter that they had to be separated to keep the situation from escalating.The two, who stared down each other, downplayed the incident as expected.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSPalace wants Cayetano’s PHISGOC Foundation probed over corruption chargesSPORTSSingapore latest to raise issue on SEA Games food, logistics“Wala sakin yun, niloloko ko lang si Pogoy,” said Romeo, who instigated the situation after invading Pogoy’s space after scoring on a layup despite being fouled by his former Gilas teammate.🎥 Naiwanan ni Terrence Romeo yung bantay, layup is good MAY KASAMA PANG FOUL!#PBAPlayoffs#PBALabanKungLaban pic.twitter.com/CgorguECUl— PBA (@pbaconnect) April 10, 2019(That’s nothing to me. I was just messing with Pogoy.)ADVERTISEMENT Duterte wants probe of SEA Games mess View comments Test of character as FEU enters crucial homestretch in Final 4 chaselast_img read more