first_imgWenger was impressed by Praet when Arsenal played Anderlecht in 2014 (Picture: Getty)In the end, Praet decided to swap Genk for Anderlecht so he could continue his studies, winning the Belgian Pro League three times after joining the first team, before moving to Sampdoria in 2016.Speaking about his time at Arsenal back in 2014, Praet told Belgian newspaper HLN: ‘I was 16 when I went to do a trial at Arsenal. I played a match with the reserves, I visited the training complex and I went through training with the first team. I never met Arsene Wenger. Metro Sport ReporterFriday 7 Jun 2019 8:31 amShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link2.5kShares Comment What Arsene Wenger has said previously about ‘physically weak’ Arsenal target Dennis Praet Praet tussles with Nacho Monreal in the Champions League five year ago (Picture: Getty)During those European clashes in 2014 – in which Anderlecht famously came from three goals down to draw at the Emirates – Wenger was asked about Praet’s brief time at the club.AdvertisementAdvertisementADVERTISEMENT‘When he was 15 or 16 years old, he came with Kyle Ebecilio who, in between, went back to Holland,’ Wenger recalled.More: FootballRio Ferdinand urges Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop Manchester United starChelsea defender Fikayo Tomori reveals why he made U-turn over transfer deadline day moveMikel Arteta rates Thomas Partey’s chances of making his Arsenal debut vs Man City‘At the time, he was judged – I didn’t know he was here, I didn’t know him at the time – a bit weak physically.‘Since then he has developed well. I was honestly impressed by his performance when we played in the first game [which Arsenal won 2-1 in Anderlecht].’ The Belgian midfielder had a trial with the Gunners when he was a teenager (Picture: Getty)Sampdoria star and Arsenal target Dennis Praet was considered ‘physically weak’ when he failed to impress while on trial at the club as a teenager, Arsene Wenger has previously revealed.The Belgian midfielder has been heavily linked with a move to the Emirates this summer along with Sampdoria teammate Joachim Anderson, with reports in Italy claiming the Gunners have proposed a £44million double deal.Praet is already familiar with the red half of north London, having spent time there on trial as a 16-year-old while he also played against Arsenal twice in the Champions League. Advertisement Praet has enjoyed a strong campaign with Sampdoria this past season (Picture: Getty)‘The move to Arsenal fell through because I gave priority to school. Absolutely 100% I wanted to finish my school and at Anderlecht I could make the perfect combination.’Praet made 37 appearances for a Sampdoria side that finished ninth in Serie A this past season, scoring two goals and laying on three assists, while he knows Arsenal star Lucas Torreira well and formed a strong partnership with the Uruguayan before he moved to the Emirates.More: SchoolMum finds girl, 6, rubbing talcum powder on her face to make herself whiteParents vow to homeschool son after headteacher bans face masks in classTrans boy, 17, waiting two and a half years to get an appointment at gender clinic Advertisementlast_img read more


first_imgSweden’s Henrik Stenson is the new Open golf champion – after a record breaking Sunday at Royal Troon.He shot a final round 63 to finish on a best-ever 20-under-par in the sport’s oldest “major” – three ahead of Phil Mickelson, who managed an impressive 65.Northern Ireland’s Rory McIlroy and England’s Tyrrell Hatton were tied in fifth place – 16 strokes behind Stenson.last_img


first_imgWellington Police notes for Monday, September 8, 2014:•10 a.m. Officers took a report of suspicious activity in the 1200 block S. Jefferson, Wellington.•10:28 a.m. Officers investigated a theft of a license plate.•10:30 a.m. Officers took report of a found bicycle in the 600 block S. C, Wellington.•12:52 p.m. Officers made a courtesy motor vehicle accident report in the 300 block N. Washington on private property, involving vehicles operated by Sharon K. Hooker, wf, 52, South Haven, and Maria E. Carrasco, 59, Wellington.•1:05 p.m. Officers took a report of suspicious activity in the 1000 block Shady Lane, Wellington.•2:55 p.m. Officers took a report of suspicious activity in the 1600 block W. 8th, Wellington.•3:43 p.m. Wesley M. Reusch, 21, Wellington was arrested and confined on a city municipal bench warrant for probation revocation and failure to appear.•8:52 p.m. Officers investigated harassment by telecom device by a known suspect in the 400 block N. Blaine, Wellington.last_img read more


first_img…nursing broken knee at GPHC Twenty-nine-year-old Junior Courtman of Queenstown village, Essequibo Coast, Region Two is calling for justice after he allegedly was beaten by Police ranks in ‘G’ Division, and is now left with a broken knee.The father of three told Guyana Times that, on June 20, he was out with three of his friends at a wash bay when, at about 23:00h, a vanload of Police ranks approached them and conducted a search of their persons.According to him, nothing was found in their possession, and the ranks ordered them to go home.Courtman said he and his friends left the wash bay; and when he got about 50 feet away from the location, he recalled leaving his phone at the wash bay, and he returned for it.“So I went back to get my phone, but they were still there where we were; and when I went back, one of them jump out de vehicle and come and hold me and push me off my bike… So I told them I going for my phone, and he start pushing me and chucking me, and cuff me in my eye,” the injured man related.He admitted to this newspaper that after the Police had done this, he and the rank became engaged in a scuffle. He said two others left the vehicle with a baton and a gun and started to attack him.“When they done beating me, they throw me in de vehicle, because I couldn’t ah get up to walk. And then they took me to the (Anna Regina Police) Station. And when I reach there, they told me to get up and come out de vehicle, but I couldn’t ah get up; so they drag me into the station and put me on a bench to sit down,” Courtman detailed.He said the Police took away all of his belongings and were about to place him in the lockups. They prepared a statement for him to sign, but he did not sign it, given that the occurrences Police documented therein were not accurate.He said a female officer then advised that he be taken to the hospital, and the ranks took him to the Suddie Hospital, from where he was subsequently transferred to the Georgetown Public Hospital (GPHC) on Thursday.He remains a patient there, and is expected to undergo a surgery in the coming week.When contacted, ‘G’ Division Commander Khali Pareshram said he is aware of one such case in the division, which to his knowledge is being investigated by the GPF’s Office of Professional Responsibility (OPR).He was, however, unable to say whether Courtman’s case is the one being investigated.last_img read more


first_imgThe final heartbreaking journey for the Boyle family begins today when they take tragic Conor home for burial in his beloved Co Donegal.The late Conor Boyle will be buried this Sunday.The 18 year old, who touched so many lives, lost his battle for life last week after a car crash in London on September 6th.Conor was returning home after a day’s work at his father’s tunneling company when the accident happened. Messages of sympathy and support have literally flooded in from around the world for the Loughanure teenager.Even in death Conor touched many more lives as his parents Hugh and Sheila gave their kind consent for some of his organs to be donated so others could live.The West Donegal areas of Loughanure, Annagry and surrounding villages are expected to come to a standstill as Conor’s remains arrive home.Conor’s remains will be taken to Sean McGlynn’s Chapel of Rest today at 11am for removal to his home in Loughanure at noon. A huge crowd is expected at his funeral which takes place in Annagry this Sunday at 1pm.The local Naomh Muire GAA club, of which Conor was a proud member, will perform a major role at his final farewell.The rosary will be held at the Boyle home on Friday and Saturday nights at 9pm.House is private from 10.30 pm – 10am and From 12noon on Sunday. FINAL LEG OF HEARTBREAKING JOURNEY BEGINS FOR BOYLE FAMILY was last modified: September 27th, 2013 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Conor BoylecrashdonegalfuneralLoughanurelast_img read more