first_imgTo access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletterslast_img


first_imgTopics : Rochester, New York’s police chief abruptly resigned on Tuesday along with his command staff, saying there had been a “mischaracterization and politicization” of his actions following the death of Daniel Prude in police custody.Rochester Mayor Lovely Warren told a City Council meeting that she had not asked Chief La’Ron Singletary to resign, though she said there was “information that was brought to light today that I have not previously seen before.” She did not elaborate.Rochester, a city of 200,000 people on Lake Ontario, erupted with protests last week after the Prude family released body camera footage showing officers had used a mesh hood and pinned Prude, a 41-year-old Black man, to the pavement during the March arrest. “The mischaracterization and the politicization of the actions that I took after being informed of Mr. Prude’s death is not based on facts, and is not what I stand for.”Warren, who has also come under pressure for the handling of Prude’s arrest and death, said Singletary’s deputy, Joseph Morabito, had also retired and that “there may be a number of others that will decide to leave as well.”The mayor said she was unsure when the retirements would take effect.Free the People ROC, a local Black Lives Matter group, welcomed the resignations in a Facebook post but demanded more.”Let’s keep the pressure up until all those responsible for Daniel Prude’s murder and cover up — including Mayor Lovely Warren – have resigned, taken responsibility and donated their pensions to the families they allowed to be harmed,” it wrote.Warren apologized to the Prude family last week and suggested she had been misled by Singletary – an allegation he denied. Singletary also pointed to his ordering of an internal investigation soon after the incident.The Rochester police union’s head, Michael Mazzeo, defended the officers last week, saying they followed procedure in using the so-called “spit hood,” necessary because Prude claimed he had the coronavirus. Mazzeo also said Singletary’s office told him after the arrest there were “no concerns” with the officers’ actions.center_img The release of the footage five months after Prude’s death had raised questions of a possible cover-up and turned Rochester into the latest flashpoint in a summer of protests over racial injustice first sparked by George Floyd’s May 25 death.Seven police officers involved in the arrest were suspended last week. The medical examiner ruled Prude’s death a homicide by asphyxiation, with the drug PCP a contributing factor. He was having a psychotic episode when he was arrested.Black Lives Matter activists had called for Singletary’s resignation. But as recently as Sunday, amid a weekend of demonstrations, he had said he intended to stay on, and Warren backed him. Both he and the mayor are Black.”As a man of integrity, I will not sit idly by while outside entities attempt to destroy my character,” Singletary said in a statement, noting his 20 years on the force.last_img read more


first_imgCYCLE coach Hassan Mohamed will tomorrow be conducting an 11-race cycle programme around the inner circuit of the National Park beginning at 09:00hrs.The activity is being sponsored by beverage giant Banks DIH Limited under its Malta Supreme brand and the company’s Outdoor manager Mortimer Stewart, along with Malta Supreme brand manager Clayton McKenzie and Errol Nelson, are expected to present the winners of the respective categories with their prizes.The feature event will see schoolboys, novices and invitational riders battle over 35 laps and the top six finishers will be rewarded for their efforts.The defending champion is Team Evolution’s Michael Anthony who won the event last year in a time of one hour 19 minutes 25.27 seconds.The winners of the other categories last year were: Romello Crawford who had won the juveniles 10-lap race, Junior Niles the veterans Under-45 years five-lap race who will be seeking to make a successful defence of that title, Sean Bourne the mountain bikers’ five-lap race and Whitney Poyer who is the defending champion of the boys-and-girls’ three-lap race.However, Crawford is currently in the United States and so a new champion will be crowned.Other races on the card will be open to veterans Over-45 years (five laps), BMX boys nine to 12 years over three laps and BMX boys six to nine years over two laps.Riders will be in action tomorrow (July 1) at the inner circuit of the National Park, the venue for the seventh annual Malta Supreme 11-race programme. Set to start at 09:00hrs, the day’s activities will cater for all categories of riders.Organised by national cycling coach Hassan Mohamed, the event will be witnessed by top officials of sponsor Banks DIH Limited, Mortimer Stewart, Clayton McKenzie and Errol Nelson.Michael Anthony is set to defend his title in the feature 35-lap Schoolboys and Invitational, while the other category winners from last year were Romello Crawford (10-lap juveniles), Junior Niles (5-lap veterans Under-50), Sean Bourne (5-lap mountain bikes) and Whitney Poyer (3-lap 12-14 boys and girls).Anthony’s winning time in 2016 was recorded as one hour 19 minutes 25.27 seconds. Mohamed is urging riders to come out and be part of the race, as he continues to provide an avenue for them to test their competitiveness.last_img read more


first_imgFootball fans in Letetrkenny and the surrounding areas have breathed a collective sigh of relief after power was resyored to more than 1,000 homes.A major ESB fault had left more than 1,000 homes without power supply just after 2.30pm on the eve of today’s FA Cup Final between Liverpool and Chelsea at 5.15pm.The fault has left homes in Letterkenny, Churchill and the surrounding areas without power supply. A spokesman for the ESB said they had experienced a major fault and repair crews had since sorted out the problem.Come on The Reds – Editor!! SOCCER FANS RELIEVED AS ELECTRICITY RESTORED TO 1,000 HOMES! was last modified: May 5th, 2012 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more


first_imgFinn Harps have suffered their first defeat of the season after going down 1-0 to Athlone Town at Athlone Town Stadium this evening.Both sides had few chances and the game could have gone either way.Both Kevin McHugh and Paul McVeigh had chances to break the deadlock for Harps minutes into the restart. McVeigh’s chance went agonizingly close but came back off the inside of the post.Roddy Collins’ side pushed on and were rewarded after a fine move in the 70th minute.Garbhan Coughlan found the net form close range after Philip Gorman headed down a fine cross from Barry Clancy.Harps pushed until the final whistle but just couldn’t break down a stubborn home defence.  HARPS SUFFER FIRST LEAGUE DEFEAT OF NEW SEASON was last modified: April 12th, 2013 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Athlone Townfinn harpslast_img read more