first_imgBy Gary SmeeNOTTS Outlaws won their first domestic 20-over title with a 22-run victory over Birmingham Bears in the T20 Blast final at Edgbaston.A magnificent 132-run stand between Brendan Taylor (65) and Samit Patel (64 not out) propelled Notts to 190-4 after they had slumped to 30-3 early on.Harry Gurney’s 4-17 restricted the Bears to 168-8, despite Sam Hain’s 72.Notts now hold both domestic limited-overs trophies after their One-Day Cup success at Lord’s in July.And Peter Moores’ side are well-placed to complete a treble-winning season by claiming the Division Two title in the County Championship.The Outlaws’ chances in the final looked bleak after they lost their top order cheaply, including England opener Alex Hales for a second low score of the day – bowled by international team-mate Chris Woakes (3-29).Woakes also removed Tom Moores and Riki Wessels to leave Notts reeling, before an excellent recovery.Once former Zimbabwe international Taylor, 31, and all-rounder Patel, 32, settled in they turned the final in Notts’ favour.Patel was the more destructive batsman, smashing four sixes in his 42-ball knock, while Taylor used a mix of deft touches, reverse sweeps and pure timing to find the boundary nine times.Patel’s innings was one of high class under the most extreme pressure – he used his feet superbly against a fine bowling attack to clear his front leg out of the way and hit regular boundaries.Taylor fell at the start of the 19th over, but Outlaws captain Dan Christian finished the innings in style with 24 off eight balls, including 23 off paceman Olly Stone’s final over.Birmingham Bears transformed their T20 top-order halfway through the competition – bringing in youngsters Dominic Sibley from Surrey, Adam Hose from Hampshire and Ed Pollock from university cricket.Pollock shone in their semi-final win over Glamorgan, with 50 off 27 balls, but this time he managed only 14 before being brilliantly run out by Patel.And it was only 22-year-old Hain, their leading run scorer in the competition, who produced in the final with some wonderful straight hitting into the stands.All-rounder Aaron Thomason, 20, provided some lusty blows in his brisk innings of 26, but Notts’ experienced seam attack held their nerve.(bbc)last_img read more


first_imgSyracuse running back Delone Carter received a one-year conditional discharge for harassment in City Court Thursday for punching a fellow Syracuse University student in a Feb. 27 snowball-throwing incident, said his attorney, Kimberly Zimmer. Carter pleaded guilty to the charges, Zimmer said, which were reduced from a misdemeanor third-degree assault charge by Judge Langston McKinney Thursday. The charges are contingent upon Carter, whose case now remains open for the next year on a probationary status. Assuming Carter avoids any additional legal trouble, the case would then be closed, Zimmer said. ‘He pled guilty to harassment,’ Zimmer said. ‘The conditional discharge was basically his sentence. So the case remains open, if you will, until that year’s up. If there are no further problems with the law, then the case is closed and that’s it.’AdvertisementThis is placeholder text Through Zimmer, Carter offered a statement expressing relief that the process was finally over and gratitude to everyone who had helped him through the process. ‘He said he’s very thankful to those who have helped him through this process,’ Zimmer said, ‘including his family and the Syracuse University football program.’ Carter’s case had been postponed several times before finally reaching a conclusion on Thursday. The latest time it had been postponed was Sept. 14. Zimmer said that was normal in court proceedings similar to Carter’s situation. ‘That happens for a variety of reasons,’ Zimmer said. ‘Based on attorneys’ availabilities and others. But that happens typically in a lot of cases.’ The news comes just days after Carter was recognized by the Big East as the conference’s Offensive Player of the Week following his 172-yard, four-touchdown performance Saturday against Colgate. In what was first reported by The Daily Orange on March 3, a passenger exited a black SUV on the 300 block of Waverly Ave. and struck William Hotaling, a Syracuse student, in the face on Feb. 27 when a snowball hit the vehicle. The suspect was later revealed as Carter, who was riding with teammates Ryan Gillum, Donte Davis and Daniel Bailey in Gillum’s 2007 GMC Yukon. After the Syracuse Department of Public Safety and the Syracuse Police Department investigated, Carter and Gillum were taken in by police for questioning on April 14 in the hours leading up to Syracuse’s spring practice session that day. Carter was charged with assault later that night, and was subsequently suspended from the team and the university the following day. Carter missed the final two days of spring practice and the annual spring game. On Aug. 9 at Syracuse’s media day, SU head coach Doug Marrone announced Carter’s reinstatement and said he would not be further disciplined by the team. ‘We look forward to (Delone Carter) coming back and being a part of this team,’ Marrone said on Aug. 9. ‘One of the things that has happened is that we have taken disciplinary action internally as a football program and Judicial Affairs has had its part in that. As far as our football program goes, we have punished Delone and that punishment has been carried out. Now it is time for us to move forward.’ Added Marrone: ‘We took action right away, which is the way our program is. We took action immediately, internally, right off the bat, prior to him leaving campus and that punishment was fulfilled.’ And now, it appears the criminal trial proceedings and obligations are fulfilled for Carter as well. Something about which Zimmer said Carter is relieved. ‘Throughout the process,’ Zimmer said, ‘he has matured and grown personally, and he’s very grateful to have this behind him.’ aljohn@syr.edu bplogiur@syr.edu Comments Facebook Twitter Google+center_img Published on September 29, 2010 at 12:00 pmlast_img read more