first_imgTopics : In total, the business performance of the association’s members has fallen 50 percent since the first confirmed COVID-19 cases were unveiled on March 2, he said. “The B2C and C2C segments recorded growth due to the increase in demand for food, perishables and medical supply deliveries despite large-scale social restrictions [PSBB],” he told The Jakarta Post on Monday, adding that all three categories had seen a 100 percent increase since March.He went on to say that during Ramadan, shipment volume usually increased by 30 to 50 percent. However, this year he predicted that the volume would be down 40 percent from last year.“The prediction is based on lower consumer spending because there have been layoffs everywhere and holiday bonus (THR) cuts,” he said. Zaldy also predicted that the logistics sector would return to normal in the first quarter of 2021. In the meantime, he said, logistics companies could begin digitalizing operations and broaden services, such as catering to more B2C clients to survive the outbreak. Supply Chain Indonesia (SCI) chairman Setijadi also said spending on tertiary goods such as automotive, electronics and fashion had declined amid the outbreak, while medical supplies and health products were likely to continue their growth trend. “Since expedition will need to continue, it is important that the government set safety procedures for our drivers, such as providing disinfectant for the trucks, masks and hand sanitizer,” he said.Responding to the expansion of the PSBB, Setijadi said local governments should ensure the availability of basic needs  by preparing adequate storage units and scheduling shipment accordingly.Previously, the SCI estimated the logistics sector would grow around 12.7 percent this year, with a contribution to GDP of Rp 993.9 trillion (US$63.9 billion). However, Setijadi said the SCI would revise the estimate because COVID-19 had severely affected global trade and logistics activities.Logistics start-up Kargo also reported a shift in operations as it catered to more medical supply and staple need deliveries, such as cooking oil and rice, while the company had seen a huge fall in import and export deliveries, especially when China was in lockdown.“We are seeing an uptick in smaller truck deliveries, such as for delivering groceries and food,” Kargo CEO Tiger Fang told the Post on April 24. “I think logistics is more important than ever now that people have to stay home.”He said that although the start-up was seeing a decline in its delivery volume, its core B2B deliveries, especially in fast-moving consumer goods, would continue to run. The company has been working with top brands such as Coca Cola and Unilever, among others.Fang said that despite the impact of COVID-19 on the economy, Kargo wanted to explore the possibility of delivering agriculture products and e-commerce, as the latter was a big category that had not been affected by the health crisis. He went on to say that the start-up was also looking for partnership opportunities with other trucking companies, banks and agencies, as well as charity programs, to provide relief.“The most important thing we do right now is remain in business and keep our drivers busy so they can still have an income,” he said, referring to the company’s around 10,000 active drivers. Kargo pledged to raise $1 million to protect its drivers’ income through a relief fund initiative. Its employees have been hit with a 75 percent cut in their paychecks across the board and Fang will give up his entire salary for the next 12 months.The company recently secured $31 million in series A funding led by Tenaya Capital with participation from, among other investors, Coca Cola Amatil and the Indonesia-oriented Intudo Ventures.“We are lucky to have had funding when we did. I think it can last us for a long time,” Fang said.center_img Logistics companies have experienced more than a 50 percent decline in overall business performance since the COVID-19 outbreak hit Indonesia in early March, the Indonesian Logistics Association (ALI) reported.The association’s chairman, Zaldy Ilham Masita, said logistics volume has been down 60 to 70 percent across the board since early March due to emergency measures taken by the government to prevent COVID-19 transmission.Zaldy said business-to-consumer (B2C) and customer-to-customer (C2C) delivery services had experienced growth despite the outbreak but the increase was too small to compensate the sharp drop in the business-to-business (B2B) segment.last_img read more


first_img“We have checked [the abortion sites] and will take action,” Roma said.He went on to say that the police had also scoured social media platforms to find offers of illicit abortion services. In one case, the LinkedIn profile of a company in North Jakarta offers a variety of abortion pills.The Communications and Information Ministry has yet to provide any statement on the matter.On Wednesday, police arrested ten individuals linked to an abortion clinic in Senen, Central Jakarta, that advertised its services and products on the internet.The clinic has reportedly aborted more than 32,000 fetuses since 2017. It charges Rp 2 million (US$134.47) for the abortion of fetuses under five weeks of age and Rp 4 million for fetuses older than five weeks, according to one of the suspects, the police said.Jakarta Police chief Sr. Comr. Yusri Yunus said the clinic would typically serve five to six patients per day and had generated over Rp 10 billion in revenue since its founding. (rfa)Topics : The Jakarta Police is set to block websites that offer illegal abortion services and products over public health and safety concerns.Jakarta Police’s special crimes unit head Sr. Comr. Roma Hutajulu told tempo.co on Thursday that his office had discovered a number of websites containing contact details of several illegal abortion clinics across the capital.In addition to abortion services, such clinics also offer drugs to induce miscarriage, according to him.last_img read more


first_img Press Association Advocaat has confirmed the 27-year-old midfielder, who was charged with three offences of sexual activity with a child under 16 and one of grooming on Thursday, remains available for selection with the club reviewing the situation. For the time being at least, the Black Cats’ position remains unchanged, and that means Johnson, who has been used as a substitute in the last three games, can play on as Sunderland battle relegation. Sunderland boss Dick Advocaat has insisted it was not a difficult decision to include Adam Johnson in his squad for Saturday’s Barclays Premier League trip to Stoke. Advocaat’s side currently sit 16th in the table, but just a point clear of the bottom three, and he has set them a target of at least six points to avoid the drop. In the circumstances, he needs all the players he can get, and especially a man who cost £10million when he arrived from Manchester City during the summer of 2012. Johnson’s continued presence could prove all the more important after the Dutchman revealed that striker Steven Fletcher travelled to London on Friday to consult a specialist over a troublesome ankle injury. Asked if it was a difficult situation for a coach, Advocaat replied: “No, because the club made a statement about it and I stay behind that, and we will wait and see what the future will bring. “He still has to come in, but in principle if he feels okay, then he will be a member of the squad. If he’s in the squad, then I will consider him for selection, otherwise he would not be in the squad.” Johnson has already been the target of unsavoury chants from fans of rival clubs, but Advocaat is confident that will not be an issue during the final weeks of the season. He said: “No, I don’t think so.” Advocaat’s comments came after Sunderland released a statement outlining their position on the matter. It said: “Following yesterday’s statement from Durham Constabulary, the club recognises that the formal legal process must take its course and whilst our position remains unchanged, we will keep the matter under review. “The club will not be making any further comment.” Johnson is due to appear at Peterlee Magistrates’ Court on May 20 – the Black Cats face Arsenal at the Emirates Stadium that evening – but in theory, should be available to play in the other five games Sunderland have in which to preserve their top-flight status. last_img read more