first_imgJun 16, 2006 (CIDRAP News) – When avian flu struck a poultry flock in Denmark last month, the owners waited 2 weeks to notify authorities, thereby increasing the risk of human infection, according to a report in the Jun 15 Eurosurveillance Weekly.The outbreak, which thus far is Denmark’s only one in domestic birds, began in a backyard holding in Funen county on May 3 with the death of four birds out of 102 free-ranging poultry on the farm. It peaked May 5 and 6, when 30 birds died, and ended May 12, according to the report.The outbreak killed 47 birds, all of which were in one flock of 50 birds on the backyard farm. Three other flocks in different areas of the farm were unaffected.Veterinary authorities were alerted the evening of May 17, and avian flu was confirmed May 18.In the meantime, according to the report, the two farm owners had close contact with the birds, including culling sick birds without wearing masks or gloves. They reported getting bird blood on their bare hands in the process.In addition, the farm had visitors on several occasions during the outbreak, and three visitors bought eggs for home cooking during this time.”Avian influenza A/H5N1 is currently not a very contagious virus for humans,” the report says, “but there is a small and real risk of infection for people who have close contact with sick birds.”All the people who might have been exposed to avian flu virus during the outbreak took oseltamivir for postexposure prevention. Fortunately, follow-up with farm owners, visitors, and others who might have been at risk has revealed no signs of avian flu.”At present,” the report states, “it is impossible to know whether avian influenza H5N1 has become endemic in Danish wild birds, or if it has not, whether it is likely to be reintroduced later.”It is therefore important to maintain timely surveillance, preparedness, and communication lines between relevant stakeholders.”Molbak K, Trykker H, Mellergaard S, et al. Avian influenza in Denmark, March-June 2006: public health aspects. Eurosurveill 2006 Jun 15;11(6):E060615.3 [Full text]last_img read more


first_imgAn investigation into the fire which destroyed a section of the Diamond Secondary School last Monday has concluded that the building was deliberately set on fire.Fire Prevention Officer of the Guyana Fire Service (GFS), Andrew Holder told this publication on Saturday that arson was confirmed after inspecting the crime scene and evidence.On Thursday, it was confirmed that the GFS have wrapped up their investigation and are awaiting confirmation from the Government Electrical Inspector so as to determine the cause of the fire.“The fire was deliberately set at the Diamond school,” said Holder when contacted.Reports are that the guard stationed at the school noticed flames emanating from the front building within the compound at about 02:00h on Monday last and raised an alarm. With the assistance of public-spirited citizens, the fire was contained before firefighters arrived at the scene.The Education Ministry stated that the fire began in the administrative building, which housed the head teacher and deputy head teacher’s offices along with the computer laboratory and library.According to the Ministry, checks were made by the GFS to ascertain whether there was a power surge affecting that area at the time of the blaze. It was later found that there was no fault in the electrical supply.Regional officials were then engaged to cater for the smooth operations of the school when it reopens. All public schools are expected to open on January 7, 2019.In November, several persons working at the school were under investigation after a large sum of money, which was collected from students for the school’s graduation ceremony, reportedly disappeared.Guyana Times understands that the money was stored in a secured safe and only a few individuals were granted access, causing speculation as to where the monies disappeared to.During the probe of that incident, four teachers were taken into custody and questioned at the Golden Grove Police Station. They were subsequently released on station bail.last_img read more


first_imgA man in his 70s has been found guilty of indecently assaulting a young boy while out fishing and after gathering turf in Co Donegal.Letterkenny court.The man, who cannot be named for legal reasons, had denied both charges of indecent assault. But after two hours of deliberating, a jury of seven women and five men found him guilty at Letterkenny Circuit Court today.The complainant is a 41 year old man who now lives in New York who gave his evidence by video-link.The man said he was just 10 years old in the summer of 1984 when his attacker gave him £5 to row his boat while he was fishing.While out fishing the man produced a condom and asked him to try it on while he exposed himself to the 10 year old boy.The man is also alleged to have produced pornography from a black bin bag.The man said attacker left him off on a small island and asked him to try it on but he could not get it on and he left the island.On another occasion, the man claims that he was offered £20 by the man to turn turf at his bog which he agreed to do.After the work, they went back to the man’s house.The witness was then given pornographic material and told to go into the bedroom and masturbate.When he did this, the man then came into the bedroom and masturbated himself and then touched the boy on his penis.The court heard the victim returned from New York in 2009 and came across the man in a bar during a festival in his town.He pushed the man out the door but it was not until 2011 that the accused was arrested and interviewed by Gardai about the assaults.However, barrister for the accused, Mr Cormac Ó Dúlacháin said his client denied all the charges and that he did not even know the accused.The accused said he did not think of boys in a sexual way and although he was not married, he had come close to getting married once but his then girlfriend went off with another man.Judge Francis Comerford adjourned the case for sentencing until July.He also ordered that the man be placed on the sex offenders register.MAN FOUND GUILTY OF INDECENTLY ASSAULTING 10 YEAR OLD BOY was last modified: May 7th, 2015 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more