first_imgPool photo by Governor Andrew M. Cuomo / Flickr.ALBANY — Saying the federal government learned nothing in how it conducted COVID-19 testing, New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo called into question the proposed vaccination plan during a Friday conference call.The federal approach to use private vaccine providers such as Walgreen, CVS and other private pharmacies is a mirror of what Cuomo called a testing debacle.“The administration is locked in on this private sector plan,” Cuomo said.The current plan could take up to a year or more to vaccinate everyone, Cuomo said, adding the country can’t afford a year of time to vaccinate people. “We know the capacity of the network because we now have it engaged,” he said. “It could take one year to vaccinate. Their fundamental plan while simplistic is deeply flawed.”Cuomo said the federal government will not supply any funding to state’s to set up their own vaccination plans.“The federal govt will not provide any funding to speak of for a state to set up a supplemental network,” Cuomo said.“We just can’t afford it,” he said. “Their plan is just to fund the private sector providers. It operationally would be highly inefficient and it’s a direct mirror of the testing debacle. They’ve learned nothing.”“They handed it to the states. ‘New York State, you do the testing,’ ‘Will you provide us funding,’ ‘No,’ ” Cuomo said. “Will you provide us any materials,’ ‘No.’ This nation has been abysmal with testing.” Share:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window),Cuomo is an ass. He has led the state with the most deaths from covid than any other state in the union. He killed people in nursing homes because of his order that the homes take covid patients. Since we are the highest taxed state in the union why does he need government funding. He has to go or there will be no one left in the state.last_img read more


first_img Facebook Twitter Google+ Published on January 7, 2012 at 12:00 pm A day after Syracuse couldn’t keep up with a high-octane Mercyhurst offense, the Orange settled down and skated to an impressive tie.The SU women’s ice hockey team (8-13-2, 0-2-2 College Hockey America) played the Lakers (15-4-1, 1-0-1 CHA) to a 1-1 draw Saturday afternoon at Tennity Ice Pavilion in front of 238 fans. The tie was a vast improvement for head coach Paul Flanagan’s squad after losing to Mercyhurst in an 8-4 laugher Friday night.Syracuse received a great effort from Kallie Billadeau, who had been having an inconsistent season. The sophomore goaltender registered 33 saves, including 13 in the third period and one stop in overtime.SU got ahead late in the first period when senior forward Lisa Mullan backhanded the puck past Mercyhurst goaltender Hillary Pattendon who already committed to one side of the cage. The goal put SU up 1-0.That lead didn’t last long. A little more than a minute into the second period, Mercyhurst struck back when Christina Bestland took advantage of her team’s man-up advantage. Bestland knocked home a shot in front of the crease; the only blemish Billadeau had to her name all game.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textThe two teams played to a scoreless third period and overtime period with Syracuse not getting one shot off in the extra frame.After the game, Flanagan was pleased from what he saw from his team against the No. 5 team in the country.‘It’s a big strive for us, a big step in the right direction,’ Flanagan said in a postgame interview posted by SU Athletics.Next up for the Orange is a date with Cornell on Jan. 17 on the road.– Compiled by David Propper, staff writer, dgproppe@syr.educenter_img Commentslast_img read more


first_imgSpain prevailed 2-1 over Senegal in their Round of 16 ties at the FIFA U-17 World Cup Brazil 2019™ on Wednesday, leaning on an imposing start to see out the victory.The Spaniards dominated the pace of the game during the opening period in Goiania and were rewarded with a goal, coming via brilliant combination play between Pablo Moreno and Roberto Navarro in the 27th minute. German Valera’s solo effort doubled La Rojita‘s advantage in the 59th minute.Senegal made a match of it late, but the India 2017 runners-up will move onto the quarter-finals in Brazil 2019, where they’ll face the winner between France and Australia.SpainSpain’s goals showcased the different ways they can beat opponents: through crisp passing and incisive team moves or from shining individual performances.For their second goal, Valera made a determined run from midfield. The captain had his initial shot attempt blocked but was quick to latch onto the deflection and slot the ball low past Pape Dione.Goalkeeper Ivan Martinez saw most of his action in the final ten minutes and stood tall against the onslaught of crosses sprayed into the box.SenegalSenegal’s attackers applied significantly more pressure in the second half, but their breakthrough no doubt came later than they hoped.Substitute Aliou Balde served up a cross to the near post and Souleymane Faye got a piece of the ball with his foot, redirecting it past Ivan Martinez in the 85th minute.The Young Lions of Teranga kept the pressure high through the end of the match but were unable to equalize.The U-17 World Cup debutants exit Brazil 2019 having advanced beyond the group stage.last_img read more


first_imgAn analysis by the Clippers states the project will bring only 32 new annual events to the market, while 46 other events, which would have been staged elsewhere, will instead be “market-shifted” to Inglewood and thus would not count as a net increase in greenhouse gases in the region.Meany has accused the environmental groups of operating under MSG’s guidance. The application’s analysis was verified by multiple experts, he said.The project is greenhouse gas net neutral, he says, and the development team is committed to fixing any issues, even if they are discovered after construction is finished.“We are trying to be environmental stewards,” Meany said. “We think we have a project that is the most environmentally sensitive of any project that has been brought forward.” Developer frustratedIn an interview Tuesday, developer Chris Meany of Wilson Meany expressed frustration with the hold-ups, but said he is confident CARB will certify the arena application eventually.Meany declined to speak about the specific issues stalling the approval process. He said the state agency is focused on climate change and alleges it is holding this project to a higher standard than others.“CARB thinks this is an opportunity to get extra mitigations to help with an issue that we all should be concerned about,” Meany said. “At every step of the process, we’ve been asked to do more than any other project, and you know what, we’re doing more.”The only difference, he said, is that other projects didn’t have a billion-dollar company fighting them.“Our opposition has done a lot to throw sand in the gears,” he said.Forum owners thank NewsomIn a statement, a representative of the Forum thanked Newsom for supporting the Air Resources Board and for his call that the Clippers comply with AB 987 “both in letter and in spirit.”“It is time for the Clippers to live up to the environmental promises they made to the local community, environmental groups, the Legislature and others,” the representative wrote. “The bottom line is that jamming three large-scale venues within a mile of each other would ruin the experience for all event attendees and overwhelm Inglewood through crippling traffic and completely insufficient parking, increasing pollution and decreasing the quality of life for the surrounding communities.”MSG launched a public campaign against the project last week and has multiple lawsuits pending.The $1 billion arena is expected to be built near the intersections of Prairie Avenue and Century Boulevard, just across the street from the Hollywood Park Casino and the new NFL stadium for the Rams and Chargers, which opens in 2020. The Forum, which would compete with the arena for concerts and other events, is less than a mile away at Prairie and Manchester Boulevard.Proponents of the project have argued that the area has dealt with higher traffic volumes in the past when the Hollywood Park Racetrack and the Forum, then home to the Los Angeles Lakers and Kings, were operating simultaneously. They say the development will be a much-needed economic boon for Inglewood. The city and the Clippers are negotiating a $100 million benefits package that would include $75 million for affordable housing.Opponents cite environmental harmThe Natural Resources Defense Council, Climate Resolve and four state legislators have come out against the project. They say it will harm the region and have called out its application for approval under AB 987, alleging it is not net neutral because the analysis in the application assumes Staples Center and other venues won’t replace events they would lose to the new arena.“Inglewood residents should not be burdened with the weight of hundreds of thousands of metric tons of greenhouse gases and associated toxic air contaminants,” wrote Jonathan Parfrey, executive director of Climate Resolve, in an opposition letter.Related Articles Clippers’ Montrezl Harrell credits his grandmother for his love of basketball Clippers vs. Mavericks: 3 trends to watch in their NBA playoff series Clippers see room to improve vs. Mavericks in Game 2 Clippers’ rhythm is missing but their spirits strong before playoff opener center_img Clippers mindful of Mavericks’ role players thriving in the bubble “I support holding project sponsors to California’s high standards for environmental benefit and mitigation, and I hope you collectively can find a path forward,” Newsom wrote.Assemby Bill 987, passed in 2017 and signed by Gov. Jerry Brown in 2018, was designed to speed up the process for the Clippers and protect the development from drawn-out litigation. If CARB doesn’t approve the project, it is likely to get locked down for years because of lawsuits brought by its opposition, the Madison Square Garden Co., owners of The Forum concert venue.The Clippers want to start construction in 2021 and have the arena game-ready three years later, when their lease at Staples Center expires.Earlier this month, two state legislators who support the project accused CARB of racism and said the delays have put the arena at risk.A spokesman for CARB declined to comment and deferred questions to the governor’s office. Newsom’s media representatives did not respond to requests for comment. Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error Efforts to fast-track a new arena for the Los Angeles Clippers in Inglewood have ground to a halt because the California Air Resources Board does not believe the project meets the necessary environmental standards, according to a letter sent to both sides Tuesday by Gov. Gavin Newsom.The letter, which describes the project as an important economic benefit for the community, urges the Clippers and CARB to continue working toward a resolution.Newsom was disappointed to learn that the two sides had reached an impasse over “key questions related to environmental mitigations” for the proposed arena, according to the letter.However, the governor signaled that he would not intervene in the decision-making process by CARB, an independent body tasked with determining whether the Clippers can adequately prevent a net increase in greenhouse gases and other emissions. State law requires at least half of the reductions come from local measures, such as expanding public transit.last_img read more