first_imgVideo assistant referee system (VAR) replays will be displayed to fans during this season’s FA Cup semi-finals at Wembley if a decision is overturned.VAR’s decision will be announced on the big screen before a “definitive video clip” is shown.It comes after criticism that decisions are sometimes unclear for fans inside stadiums.The Football Association said it would provide “clarity” and “transparency” for those in attendance.“The FA Cup has been at the forefront VAR testing process in England and this is the next step in its development,” said Andy Ambler, the FA’s director of professional game relations.Replays of incidents reviewed by VAR were shown on big screens at the 2018 World Cup in Russia.VAR has been used regularly in FA Cup ties over the past two seasons, making its debut in English football in Brighton’s third-round win over Crystal Palace on 8 January, 2018.It will be in use for both semi-finals this weekend as well as the final on 18 May. Manchester City face Brighton on Saturday before Watford play Wolves on Sunday.Last month, Swansea players bemoaned the lack of VAR during their FA Cup quarter-final exit as Man City’s equaliser was a contentious penalty and their winning goal looked to be offside.VAR was not in use despite the Liberty Stadium being equipped for it.The system is only being used in this season’s FA Cup at Premier League grounds. It will be used in the Premier League from next season.–Source: BBClast_img read more


first_imgA Flood Watch is in effect until Tuesday, 8:00 a.m., according to the U.S. National Weather Service.The Flood Watch is now in effect for * a portion of South Florida, including the following areas, Coastal Broward, Coastal Collier, Coastal Miami-Dade, Coastal Palm Beach, Far South Miami-Dade, Inland Broward, Inland Collier, Inland Miami-Dade, Inland Palm Beach, Mainland Monroe, Metro Broward, Metro Miami-Dade, and Metro Palm Beach.There is a tropical disturbance moving in from the south and it will bring in showers and thunderstorms that will produce an average of 3 to 5 inches of rainfall across the watch area with locally higher amounts possible.Stay alert, and click here for information.last_img read more


first_img A birdie-three on the 17th hole provided the key to Mark Willis winning the Fullers London Pride Gold Medal in the closest finish in the history of the 17-year history of the popular event for club golfers. It help the 34 year old from the Kendleshire club in Bristol to return 34 Stableford points over the Hotchkin course at Woodhall Spa for an aggregate of 70. That left him tied with playing partner Aiden Tanner from Norwich, who also signed for 34. So a card countback was needed to decide the winner. Both scored 15 points on the back nine, both recorded ten over the back six, but Willis’ birdie at 17 helped give him eight points over the back three compared to Tanner’s seven. It couldn’t have been closer and Willis even managed to get up-and-down from behind a bunker then sink a 15-foot putt on the last hole to save par or the first prize would have slipped away. “That was the longest putt I’d holed all day,” said Willis. “But I’m very surprised but proud to have won. I’m surprised because my game has not been good coming into the event so I didn’t think I’d be in the hunt. “But I think the course and the wind helped me as it made conditions difficult for everyone else. My putter was cold all weekend but it came good when I needed it.” Compared to the first day, conditions improved with a lot of sunshine but the wind gradually increased to be quite strong towards the end, a factor reflected in the scoring. Tanner, the 16 year old from the Costessey Park club, was naturally disappointed but he was disappointed by his form over the back nine. “I messed up on the back nine but Mark played well and deserved to win.” Third place was also decided on countback, Rob Sims from Bulbury Woods in Dorset edging out overnight leader Justin Brassell after both finished with 69 points. Sims, 60 year old warehouseman from Corfe Mullen, recorded 36 points in his second round to Brassell’s 32 and said: “The putts went in today. But I also drove the ball well and my plan was to play for position and I only found two bunkers.” The nine-handicapper had four birdies on his card but was annoyed to not score on the final hole. 18 Aug 2013 Crucial birdie tips the balance in Willis’s favour last_img read more


first_imgBy John BurtonFORT MONMOUTH – A former Army hospital on what was Fort Monmouth property could become a new private sector medical facility, if the state authority overseeing the fort property redevelopment eventually approves the proposal.The proposal calls for AcuteCare Health Systems, headquartered in Lakewood, to operate a mixed medical facility and office complex on the site of what was once the Patterson Army Hospital and was later downsized to a Department of Veterans Affairs clinic.The portion of the former 1,126-acre fort in question is located within the boundaries of Oceanport. Fort Monmouth was shuttered by the federal Department of Defense last September.Eatontown Mayor Gerald J. Tarantolo and Oceanport Mayor Michael Mahon, who are both voting members of the state’s Fort Monmouth Economic Revitalization Auth­or­ity (FMERA), said Acute­Care operates out of Mon­mouth Medical Center in Long Branch and Kimball Medical Center in Lakewood.During its August meeting, FMERA accepted the company’s formal proposal to purchase the multistory building and some of the surrounding property.The plan will now go before the planning boards of Tinton Falls, Eatontown and Ocean­port – the former fort’s three host communities – for a determination and then on to each town’s governing body for input before returning to FMERA for its final decision.The towns have 45 days to evaluate the proposal.Representatives from Acute­Care did not return calls Aug. 29 seeking comment. But the company issued a press release, quoting the president, Daniel Czermak, who said AcuteCare would use a portion of the approximately 60,000-square-foot building to “offer frail and elderly patients nursing home-style services on an out-patient basis, as well as provide in-home health aides.”This is something of a departure for the company, the release noted. AcuteCare has concentrated on operating long-term, acute-care hospitals within the confines of existing, established hospitals.For the remainder of the facility space Czermak said he has contacted “some very reputable health-care providers” to “bring some outpatient services to the building.”AcuteCare would undertake extensive interior renovations to the facility, the release said.The price offered by AcuteCare, one source indicated, was “in the neighborhood of $3 million.”“It is significant,” Tarantolo said about the proposal. It marks the second private-sector business entity to bring a plan before the authority to acquire fort property and, if approved, it would create private-sector jobs for the area.AcuteCare said it would add as many as 200 jobs, if the plan is approved.The other proposal, Tarantolo noted, was from CommVault, a high-tech software company, located in Oceanport, which is seeking to purchase 55 acres of fort property for $6.1 million for its operations. In the spring, the authority adopted a resolution to allow the sale to move forward.“These are real, hard applications, that have expressed interest and we’re in the process of trying to negotiate arrangements for them to move into the Fort Monmouth property,” Tarantolo said.“I have very little argument with it,” said Monmouth County Freeholder Lillian Burry, is also a member of FMERA, reiterating the authority’s mission is to bring about the redevelopment of the fort property for the economic betterment of the region. “I think we are actually seeing concrete, actual development with it and it’s just starting to pick up and I think we’re going to begin to see things start to move.”Oceanport’s Mahon said he was “very cautious” about the proposal.The concerns Oceanport has are that, while it would appear the project would be a potential ratable and bring jobs, there isn’t a business plan before the authority yet. Another point of concern, Mahon said, is the redevelopment master plan calls for the existing hospital structure to be demolished and the site to be used for residential development. He questioned that, if the authority amends its master plan, where would the housing then be located and what would that mean for the town’s public school and infrastructure?Those are sticking points for Oceanport and resulted in Mahon voting against the master plan when it was adopted a few years ago.“All these things in the shadows have to be considered equally,” he said.The federal Department of Defense’s Base Realign and Closure Commission (BRAC) included Fort Mon­mouth in its 2005 round of base closing, supported by President George W. Bush and Con­gress. The state Legislature, in response, established FMERA as the official body to work with federal, state, county and local representatives to redevelop the approximately 90-year-old fort property, replace the jobs lost and offset the economic impact caused by the closing.last_img read more