first_imgRelatedPosts Lampard: I still have confidence in Tomori Mane double eases Liverpool to win over 10-man Chelsea EPL: Chelsea, Liverpool in cagey duel Former Marseille president Pape Diouf has died after suffering from coronavirus, his club has announced. The club tweeted: “It is with great sadness that Olympique de Marseille learned of the death of Pape Diouf. Pape will remain in the hearts of the Marseillais forever, as one of the great architects in the club’s history.” The club had earlier revealed the 68-year-old, who was also a former LFP official, had been suffering from coronavirus. A statement at lfp.fr read: “The Ligue de Football Professionnel has learned this evening with great sadness of the death of Pape Diouf at the age of 68. “Journalist, agent, president of Olympique de Marseille from 2005 to 2009, Pape Diouf dedicated his whole life in service of football. “A member of the LFP administrative council from September 2007 to June 2009, Pape Diouf will be remembered as a charismatic and passionate director. “In this moment of immense sadness for French football, the LFP offers its condolences to his family and those close to him, and to Olympique de Marseille.” During the Senegalese’s time at the club, Marseille twice finished second in Ligue 1 and also reached two Coupe de France finals. The club tweeted earlier on Tuesday: “All Olympiens send strength and positive thoughts toward our former president Pape Diouf, who was affected by the #Covid19.” Former France striker Djibril Cisse played for OM when Diouf was in charge, with the president going through with his signing from Liverpool despite a Cisse breaking his leg while playing for France. Cisse was quick to pay tribute after news of his death emerged, writing on Twitter: “Today French football has lost a great man. My sadness is great today. “Merci mon Pape… Rest in peace.”Tags: Djibril CisseLiverpoolOlympique de MarseillePape DioufThe Ligue de Football Professionnellast_img read more


first_imgDubai: On the eve of the marquee clash against India, Pakistan skipper Sarfraz Ahmed on Tuesday acknowledged the pressure of the high-octane match but maintained that as players the approach to every game remained the same.”There’s always pressure in India-Pakistan games. We’ve told our players, not just this game, consider every match as an India-Pakistan game if you want to win the event. There’s pressure, but we’re trying to not let it affect us, and perform well,” Sarfraz said in the pre-match presser.”As players, we take India-Pakistan match very normally, but when the match comes up, the sort of hype that’s created – TV channels discuss it, there are small programmes on social media so the hype has an impact.”But the players are told that whenever there’s an India-Pakistan match, you will try and play like you play any other game.” he added.Sarfraz also dismissed the cliches surrounding the battle between Indian batting and Pakistan’s bowling, saying he hoped it to be a good contest.”A lot of people say this game is between Pakistan’s bowling and India’s batting. But I don’t believe that.””If you see the past season, our batting is doing well, and bowling is also doing well. I feel it’ll be a good contest and I am hoping we put on a good show,” he said.On being asked if he expected another contest on the lines of last year’s ICC Champions Trophy final in England, which his side won handsomely, the Pakistan stumper preferred to start afresh.”It was a time in the past and it is gone now. It was obviously a memorable match for us and that will remain in our minds forever,” he said.”The players who were part of that game will remember it throughout their careers. But it is a new event now, new atmosphere, the conditions are completely different. So we’ll try to ensure that the momentum that we’ve got from the first game, we’ll take it forward,” he added. IANSlast_img read more


first_imgBy John BurtonFORT MONMOUTH – A former Army hospital on what was Fort Monmouth property could become a new private sector medical facility, if the state authority overseeing the fort property redevelopment eventually approves the proposal.The proposal calls for AcuteCare Health Systems, headquartered in Lakewood, to operate a mixed medical facility and office complex on the site of what was once the Patterson Army Hospital and was later downsized to a Department of Veterans Affairs clinic.The portion of the former 1,126-acre fort in question is located within the boundaries of Oceanport. Fort Monmouth was shuttered by the federal Department of Defense last September.Eatontown Mayor Gerald J. Tarantolo and Oceanport Mayor Michael Mahon, who are both voting members of the state’s Fort Monmouth Economic Revitalization Auth­or­ity (FMERA), said Acute­Care operates out of Mon­mouth Medical Center in Long Branch and Kimball Medical Center in Lakewood.During its August meeting, FMERA accepted the company’s formal proposal to purchase the multistory building and some of the surrounding property.The plan will now go before the planning boards of Tinton Falls, Eatontown and Ocean­port – the former fort’s three host communities – for a determination and then on to each town’s governing body for input before returning to FMERA for its final decision.The towns have 45 days to evaluate the proposal.Representatives from Acute­Care did not return calls Aug. 29 seeking comment. But the company issued a press release, quoting the president, Daniel Czermak, who said AcuteCare would use a portion of the approximately 60,000-square-foot building to “offer frail and elderly patients nursing home-style services on an out-patient basis, as well as provide in-home health aides.”This is something of a departure for the company, the release noted. AcuteCare has concentrated on operating long-term, acute-care hospitals within the confines of existing, established hospitals.For the remainder of the facility space Czermak said he has contacted “some very reputable health-care providers” to “bring some outpatient services to the building.”AcuteCare would undertake extensive interior renovations to the facility, the release said.The price offered by AcuteCare, one source indicated, was “in the neighborhood of $3 million.”“It is significant,” Tarantolo said about the proposal. It marks the second private-sector business entity to bring a plan before the authority to acquire fort property and, if approved, it would create private-sector jobs for the area.AcuteCare said it would add as many as 200 jobs, if the plan is approved.The other proposal, Tarantolo noted, was from CommVault, a high-tech software company, located in Oceanport, which is seeking to purchase 55 acres of fort property for $6.1 million for its operations. In the spring, the authority adopted a resolution to allow the sale to move forward.“These are real, hard applications, that have expressed interest and we’re in the process of trying to negotiate arrangements for them to move into the Fort Monmouth property,” Tarantolo said.“I have very little argument with it,” said Monmouth County Freeholder Lillian Burry, is also a member of FMERA, reiterating the authority’s mission is to bring about the redevelopment of the fort property for the economic betterment of the region. “I think we are actually seeing concrete, actual development with it and it’s just starting to pick up and I think we’re going to begin to see things start to move.”Oceanport’s Mahon said he was “very cautious” about the proposal.The concerns Oceanport has are that, while it would appear the project would be a potential ratable and bring jobs, there isn’t a business plan before the authority yet. Another point of concern, Mahon said, is the redevelopment master plan calls for the existing hospital structure to be demolished and the site to be used for residential development. He questioned that, if the authority amends its master plan, where would the housing then be located and what would that mean for the town’s public school and infrastructure?Those are sticking points for Oceanport and resulted in Mahon voting against the master plan when it was adopted a few years ago.“All these things in the shadows have to be considered equally,” he said.The federal Department of Defense’s Base Realign and Closure Commission (BRAC) included Fort Mon­mouth in its 2005 round of base closing, supported by President George W. Bush and Con­gress. The state Legislature, in response, established FMERA as the official body to work with federal, state, county and local representatives to redevelop the approximately 90-year-old fort property, replace the jobs lost and offset the economic impact caused by the closing.last_img read more


first_imgFrom an elite event of standard distance the Wasa Triathlon, in the Kootenays of B.C., has transformed into one of the most family friendly festival weekends in Western Canada. The event has grown over the last 20 years from 90 competitors to over 1000 participants with nearly one quarter being young triathletes aged between four to 15 years old. Race director, Charlie Cooper says “the event attracts families from all over B.C., Alberta and North West USA.”  “The growth in recent years has been led by the number of young triathletes coming with their families.  We are proud to cater for all ages with the first event day being dedicated to support our younger competitors.”On Saturday June 11, the Trikids Triathlon will again see a large group of smiley kids crossing the finish line for a well-earned medal.  Cooper explains that all young competitors will get to enjoy the same race experience as the adults: professional announcer Steve King, loads of volunteer support, drink stations, electronic timing, the exciting finish chute lined up with spectators, a catered lunch and a groovy t-shirt. “We want these young triathletes to love the sport, experience the competition but above all it’s about participation and having a fun weekend with the family,” Cooper said.”Many Albertan families use the Wasa triathlon as a camping weekend, enjoying the long summer mountain days and impressive setting.” For mums and dads there is some serious racing to be had on the Sunday with the sprint and standard distances both for individual and relay teams.The scenic shores of Wasa Lake attract amateurs and elite triathletes to compete in this swim-bike-run event. First-timers in the sport also target this event as a must-do to kick off their season. It’s not only the picturesque mountain scenery and pure air that attracts competitors says Cooper, the prize money is good too, with $4,300 to be awarded to the top five finishers in the women and men categories. The quality of the competition every year makes Wasa’s standard course one of the most competitive and fastest. All TriKids receive some good orienteering and preparation to make it a fun, memorable and safe experience. Many parents report young ones sleeping with their medals and proudly wearing their Wasa event shirt to school! Registration at www.rmevents.com closes June 9 for Adults & TriKids.last_img read more