first_imgTopics : Rochester, New York’s police chief abruptly resigned on Tuesday along with his command staff, saying there had been a “mischaracterization and politicization” of his actions following the death of Daniel Prude in police custody.Rochester Mayor Lovely Warren told a City Council meeting that she had not asked Chief La’Ron Singletary to resign, though she said there was “information that was brought to light today that I have not previously seen before.” She did not elaborate.Rochester, a city of 200,000 people on Lake Ontario, erupted with protests last week after the Prude family released body camera footage showing officers had used a mesh hood and pinned Prude, a 41-year-old Black man, to the pavement during the March arrest. “The mischaracterization and the politicization of the actions that I took after being informed of Mr. Prude’s death is not based on facts, and is not what I stand for.”Warren, who has also come under pressure for the handling of Prude’s arrest and death, said Singletary’s deputy, Joseph Morabito, had also retired and that “there may be a number of others that will decide to leave as well.”The mayor said she was unsure when the retirements would take effect.Free the People ROC, a local Black Lives Matter group, welcomed the resignations in a Facebook post but demanded more.”Let’s keep the pressure up until all those responsible for Daniel Prude’s murder and cover up — including Mayor Lovely Warren – have resigned, taken responsibility and donated their pensions to the families they allowed to be harmed,” it wrote.Warren apologized to the Prude family last week and suggested she had been misled by Singletary – an allegation he denied. Singletary also pointed to his ordering of an internal investigation soon after the incident.The Rochester police union’s head, Michael Mazzeo, defended the officers last week, saying they followed procedure in using the so-called “spit hood,” necessary because Prude claimed he had the coronavirus. Mazzeo also said Singletary’s office told him after the arrest there were “no concerns” with the officers’ actions.center_img The release of the footage five months after Prude’s death had raised questions of a possible cover-up and turned Rochester into the latest flashpoint in a summer of protests over racial injustice first sparked by George Floyd’s May 25 death.Seven police officers involved in the arrest were suspended last week. The medical examiner ruled Prude’s death a homicide by asphyxiation, with the drug PCP a contributing factor. He was having a psychotic episode when he was arrested.Black Lives Matter activists had called for Singletary’s resignation. But as recently as Sunday, amid a weekend of demonstrations, he had said he intended to stay on, and Warren backed him. Both he and the mayor are Black.”As a man of integrity, I will not sit idly by while outside entities attempt to destroy my character,” Singletary said in a statement, noting his 20 years on the force.last_img read more


first_imgDonegal Senator Pádraig Mac Lochlainn has expressed his concern at the lack of Government commitment to construct vital Burnfoot flood defences.The issue arose when Mary Lou McDonald asked if the Government have allocated funding for flood defences for the village and when the works will be commenced.Mary Lou McDonald had visited homes in the Burnfoot area in the days that followed last August’s floods (pictured above) and witnessed at first hand the need for flood defences. Senator Mac Lochlainn says the response from the Office of Public Works confirmed that they have appointed consultants to review the issues at Burnfoot and that “subject to the outcomes of this review, the OPW will re-assess the possible options to manage the risk and the economic viability of these options”.Senator Mac Lochlainn says he is worried about this response.He said: “The OPW had previously carried out surveys and costings for flood defences at Burnfoot and ruled out works because of a crude and offensive cost benefit analysis. They estimated that the value of the homes under threat from flooding was less than the cost of constructing flood defences.“I really believed that last August’s floods and the range of homeowners, tenants and local businesses that were devastated and traumatised would have led to a very different approach. Indeed Minister Boxer Moran made it clear that the flood defences at Burnfoot would be built when he visited Burnfoot in the days after the flooding. “Now there is further consultants reviews and most worryingly of all, the words in the Government’s response ” the economic viability of these options”.“This is frankly, insulting to the people of Burnfoot and the local businesses”.He concluded:”In recent weeks, the people of Burnfoot watched as the flood waters approached their homes again. They cannot be expected to continue to have to live like this. They need to know where they stand. I will be raising this issue with Minister Boxer Moran and local Minister Joe McHugh and seeking urgent assurances that these flood defences will be built and that the promises made are honoured”.Government’s flood response is insulting to the people of Burnfoot – Mac Lochlainn was last modified: January 18th, 2018 by Rachel McLaughlinShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:BurnfootInishowen FloodingSenator Padraig Mac LochlainnSinn Feinlast_img read more


first_imgSource:  AVEVAI Source: Electric Vehicles Magazine Singapore-based AVEVAI (the name stands for Autonomous Vehicle, Electric Vehicle, Artificial Intelligence) has launched a range of electric light commercial vehicles called IONA.The IONA is built on a chassis developed in cooperation with Daimler and Chinese truck maker Foton, and is designed specifically for use by delivery and service businesses. The first two vehicles are a van and a truck, and they will be offered in both short and long wheel-base versions. They can handle a payload of up to 2,500 kg and as much as 18 square meters of cargo.AVEVAI uses supercapacitor technology to increase range and improve battery life. Estimated range figures are 330 km for the IONA Van and 300 km for the IONA Truck.The IONA’s batteries are designed to excel in extreme weather conditions, at temperatures as low as -40o C and as high as 70o C.The company plans to offer a 22 kW Level 2 charging station that can fully charge the IONA Truck in two hours.AVEVAI CEO Argun Boldkhet says the company was founded in response to the demand from small- and medium-sized businesses for low-cost, flexible EVs. “Tighter regulations on harmful emissions in urban areas are driving demand for e-LCVs. Our mission is to create affordable, functional and highly efficient products that meet the current needs of many businesses operating in the parcel, fast-moving consumer goods and last-minute delivery segments.”last_img read more