first_imgFormer Dallas Stars head coach Jim Montgomery spoke publicly for the first time since he was fired by the team on Dec. 10 for “unprofessional conduct.” In an interview with TSN’s Pierre LeBrun, Montgomery revealed his battle with and recovery from alcoholism. He said the team was justified in its decision to remove him as head coach.”When I looked in the mirror, people wonder why I’m thankful for the Dallas Stars and (general manager) Jim Nill for what they did even though I understand that I disappointed Jim Nill, the staff I worked with and the players especially. I let them down,” Montgomery reflected. “That firing was deserved. I wasn’t doing the right things. “I felt I was being a hypocrite. I was asking my players to do the right thing and yet I wasn’t. I think it’s important to know that as I did before I went through all of this undertaking, of understanding science and what alcohol does to you.”MORE: Stars players react to Montgomery’s firingOn Dec. 10, Nill wouldn’t go into specifics for why Montgomery was fired when speaking with reporters at a press conference. Montgomery told LeBrun that he was warned a couple of times by Nill and his wife about getting himself in trouble due to alcohol. “That’s when you know the disease is progressive because in my 20s and 30s, I didn’t think it was but in my 40s, when I look at it now, never did I believe it was a problem because I’m going to fix this myself,” Montgomery said. “I had fixed everything in my life myself and I could not fix my problem with alcohol and I needed to go get help.”Montgomery said it took getting firing by the Stars for him to realize he was an alcoholic. He said since college, he would drink once a week.”You celebrate your victories on Saturday night and went hard, partied hard,” Montgomery described. “I didn’t have any problems with alcohol until I was 38. I got a DUI at a coaches’ retreat in Florida and that was the first time that drinking had led to me having problems, although there were several nights previously that I know I drank too much. That DUI led me to do some soul-searching.”Since his firing, Montgomery has been going to intensive therapy in Dallas and has a daily program, which he calls “conditioning to my sobriety.””I’ve sought that help and that’s why I talk about that daily conditioning allows me to have a sober life and my life is much better,” Montgomery detailed. “I tell you that a lot of people have told me that your life is going to get better and now that I’m coming up on six months, it does get better.”I’m just thankful for all those reasons for the Stars letting me go.”MORE: NHL enters Phase 2 in return-to-play protocolMontgomery described what it was like for his family the day he got fired by Dallas. “The day I was let go by the Stars, incredible shame and guilt to have my family name, to tell your wife who has warned you that you lost your job because of this,” Montgomery said choking up. “My two oldest children are boys, 10 and eight, and I have to tell them you lost your job, not because the team was losing but because of your own actions and behaviors and your addiction to alcohol is really, really hard.”In two seasons with the Stars, Montgomery led the team to a 61-43-10 record taking Dallas to the second round of the Stanley Cup playoffs last year, losing to the eventual champion St. Louis Blues. Right now, Montgomery is focusing on his recovery and his family but is optimistic he’ll return behind the bench.”I am hopeful to coach again,” Montgomery said. “It’s my passion. It’s what I love to do. I don’t control the opportunities that are going to come my way and I do not worry about the future. I just focus on right now and what I control.”last_img read more


first_imgEdwin V. Barclay, the man who was reported to be on the run because he was a ‘fake’ customs broker has denied the claim, and has threatened legal action against his accuser, the chief executive officer of the NEW VISION Media Publishing Network and African Center for Strategic and Foreign Policy Studies, Josephus M. Gray.Mr. Barclay told the Daily Observer in an interview yesterday that contrary to the allegation, he did not dupe Mr. Gray of US$800 and neither did he dupe unidentified “individuals more than US$9,000 and other valuables pretending to be a member of the Customs Brokers Association of Liberia.”He also refuted the claim that he is wanted by the Liberia National Police (LNP), because of his involvement in forgery and impersonation, as alleged in the reports published widely in the media on December 13, allegations that he forged land deeds by falsifying signatures of officials of the Ministry of Lands, Mines and Energy; and that he is involved with criminal gangs.“I am talking to my lawyer to seek legal redress from Mr. Gray,” he said about the man who claimed that Barclay allegedly duped him.Barclay told this newspaper that Mr. Gray was recommended to him by a man identified only as ‘Gbarlee’ to help him release his 2003 Citroen imported from Paris, France, from the Freeport of Monrovia.“I charged Mr. Gray US$50, but he told me he could get me US$20 to start the process and a day later he gave me the remaining US$30,” Barclay said. “Also the cost for the Delivery Order that gives authorization of ownership is US$175 and Mr. Gray further gave it to me and I used it to complete the Delivery Order and brought him receipts.”Barclay said he did not receive any additional money from Mr. Gray as he alleged; and after nearly three weeks of interaction, he was shocked to learn that Mr. Gray had claimed that he was on the run from justice and that he was involved in illegal activities and defrauding people.“It is a complete lie,” Barclay said, “I turned over every document to him when he told me that he did not want to use my services anymore.”Barclay said when he heard the news he consulted his lawyer who held a conference with him to ascertain what he knows about the allegations. “I told my lawyer that the only money I received from Mr. Gray was the US$50 and the US$175 that I used to process his documents for the delivery of his vehicle,” he said.He said though he is yet to face justice in a competent court of law, information provided by Mr. Gray to the media has ruined him and he would seek redress in court to reclaim his honor. Barclay said because of the media reports, his clients have withdrawn contracts because “they are convinced that I am a criminal because of what Mr. Gray released to the media.”In a telephone conversation with Mr. Gray yesterday, he insisted that the report against Barclay is true but admitted he has no receipts of the US$800 he claimed Barclay took from him.Mr. Gray meanwhile recommended that the Daily Observer invite him to a conference with Mr. Barclay, possibly today, that he promised to attend.In a letter, Barclay expressed displeasure with the report published in the Daily Observer, saying that he, along with his family, is embarrassed by the report and that the only redress to reclaim his honor is to seek legal action against Mr. Gray.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more


first_imgA man who couldn’t get a taxi home from the Clonmany Festival was caught by Gardai for drink-driving.Hugh Prior, aged 50, was stopped by Gardai at Strad, Clonmany at 10.50pm on Saturday night last, AUgust 12th. Gardai said that Prior was driving slowly and in an erratic manner and was unable to stay on the right side of the white road markings.Prior was arrested and a breath test which gave a reading of 47 microgrammes of alcohol per 100 millilitres of breath.Solicitor Kevin McElhinney said his client had been driving for 30 years and had no previous convictions for anything including road traffic offences.He said that Prior, a tarmac worker from Glenmean Close in Belfast, made the wrong decision on the night.He added that he had been waiting half an hour for a taxi at the festival but could not get want and took a chance on driving the one and half kilometres to his holiday home where he had visited for the past 19 years.“He accepts now it was the wrong thing to do,” he added.Judge Deirdre Gerathy said Mr Prior had put up his hands to the case fair and reasonably.She postponed a two-year driving ban until October 1st and also fined Prior €350.Man who couldn’t get taxi from festival is caught drink-driving was last modified: August 18th, 2017 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Clonmany Festivaldonegaldrink drivinglast_img read more