first_img…after DPP withdraws manslaughter chargeThe proprietor of Tourist Villa Hotel, who was initially charged with manslaughter for the shooting death of his neighbour, Jason DeFlorimonte, saw the charge being upgraded on Monday to murder.Remanded: Erwin BacchusErwin Bacchus, of Fifth Avenue, Subryanville, was initially charged with manslaughter when he made his first court appearance last month and was released on $1.5 million bail by Chief Magistrate Ann McLennan.However, during Monday’s hearing, the manslaughter charge was withdrawn and upgraded to the capital offence of murder.According to presiding Magistrate Judy Latchman, who read the new charge to Bacchus, the withdrawal was based on the recommendations of the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) after an investigation into the incident was completed.Bacchus’s Attorney, Nigel Hughes argued that the decision made by the DPP was nothing but an “abuse of power”.In his arguments, Hughes argued that it was the now deceased man who armed himself with a knife and a rolling pin and attacked a handyman who ran for cover inside the accused’s residence.The Attorney said it was at that time that the defendant, who is licensed to carry a firearm, fired two warning shots.Hughes further noted that the now deceased man told his client that he did not care and continued pursuing the handyman.During the ordeal, it is alleged that DeFlorimonte attempted to stab Bacchus with the knife when he (Bacchus) shot him several times about his body.Magistrate Latchman remanded Bacchus to prison.The matter will continue today for a report on the post-mortem examination.Police Prosecutor Neville Jeffers informed the court that he was ready for a date for commencement of a Preliminary Inquiry (PI) N in which some 20 witnesses would be called to the witness box. The Magistrate set October 3, 2018 for commencement of the PI.Only recently Senior Magistrate Fabayo Azore recused herself from hearing the PI stating that one of the parties involved in the matter approached her concerning the case.Even though she did not disclose whether it was a relative of the victim or the accused that approached her, she noted that she “doesn’t want anyone to tell her how to do her job”.last_img read more


first_imgFianna Fáil Spokesperson on Education and Skills Charlie McConalogue TD has called on the government to protect education services in Budget 2014. Charlie McConalogue TDThe party launched its budget proposals this week, which protects funding for education services, mental health services and supports for people with disabilities.Fianna Fáil’s plan prioritises special needs education, provides additional resource hours for children with Down Syndrome and reverses the cuts to small rural schools, said the Inishowen Deputy. “We have put education at the heart of our Budget 2014 proposals. We are sending the message to government loud and clear that it is possible meet budgetary targets next year without cutting supports for children with special needs, without attacking small schools and without introducing yet another hike in the student registration fee,” said Deputy McConalogue.“The Education Minister Ruairí Quinn needs to learn from the mistakes he has made in the past. The last two budgets were highly regressive in the area of education. The most vulnerable children in the school system were hit with cuts to support – children with special needs, children in disadvantaged areas and teenagers in need of one-to-one attention at second level.“Students were hit with two further increases in the college registration fee by a Minister who promised to reverse fee hikes. Post-graduate grants were abolished and the SUSI fiasco caused severe hardship to tens of thousands of students nationwide.”He claims that Minister Quinn has been forced into a series of u-turns on some of these regressive cuts. “However, there are still DEIS schools that suffered cuts to resources; children with special needs have seen a further reduction in SNA supports again this year; the abolition of the career guidance allocation at second level remains in place and has resulted in a dramatic reduction to one-to-one supports for vulnerable teenagers in the school system; small schools in rural communities across the country are now under threat; and students will be hit by another €250 increase in the third level registration fee next year.“These highly damaging cuts are not necessary and they must stop. There is no reason why education services cannot be protected in Budget 2014. The government can choose to put a high value on education, and place it at the heart of their budget plan for next year,” said Deputy McConalogue. EDUCATION MUST BE PROTECTED IN BUDGET – McCONALOGUE was last modified: October 13th, 2013 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:budgetCharlie McConaloguelast_img read more