first_imgPathway from crisis Although hotspots like New York face a dire lack of protective gear, ventilators and medics, there was further cause for optimism, with early-hit states like Washington and California demonstrating a possible pathway out of the crisis.Washington appears to be on the downward slope of its case curve and has even sent 400 ventilators to New York, but its governor Jay Inslee said he feared a second wave because of the ongoing patchwork response.”Even if Washington gets on top of this fully, if another state doesn’t, it can come back and come across our borders two months from now, so this is important to have a national success,” he told NBC. California is also showing how it is possible to get on top of the crisis, said epidemiologist Brandon Brown of the University of California, Riverside.  “We are now ramping up testing, starting to measure community spread, preparing spaces for when hospitals may be overrun,” he said. On the sports front, the golf world has reconfigured its schedule — the Masters will now be in November, and the US Open and Ryder Cup will go ahead on back-to-back weeks in September.”Sports, and particularly the game of golf, are important vehicles for healing and hope,” said PGA of America chief executive Seth Waugh. Baltimore-based Johns Hopkins University, which has been keeping a running tally of coronavirus numbers, said at least 356,942 US cases had been confirmed, with 10,524 deaths.Only Italy (15,877) and Spain (13,055) have seen more of their citizens killed by the deadly pandemic. There was a glimmer of hope however in New York, the main focus of the US outbreak, where there have been more than 4,750 deaths statewide and 130,000 cases. Governor Andrew Cuomo said Monday the death rate had been “effectively flat” for two days. The state reported 599 new deaths, similar to Sunday’s tally of 594 and down from a record 630 on Saturday. But the governor ordered schools and non-essential businesses to remain shut for a further three weeks, telling reporters: “Now is not the time to be lax.”  Topics :center_img ‘Social distancing is working’ “It is hopeful but it is also inconclusive,” Cuomo said, adding that it would be a “mistake” to relax restrictions too early.”If the curve is turning, it’s because the rate of infection is going down. If the rate of infection is going down, it’s because social distancing is working.” The pandemic has killed nearly 75,000 worldwide since the emergence of the new coronavirus in December in China, according to an AFP tally compiled from official sources. Authorities have warned that between 100,000 and 240,000 people could die in the United States, even in a best-case scenario with social distancing guidelines being observed. Nine states — all controlled by Republican governors — have still not yet ordered total lockdowns, much to the frustration of public health experts.Wisconsin, which is among those under stay-at-home orders, became the 15th state to delay presidential primaries after initially determining to forge ahead.Governor Tony Evers, citing the risk to poll workers and voters, ordered that Tuesday’s Democratic presidential primary and local elections in the Midwestern US state be postponed until June.”I cannot in good conscience stand by and do nothing,” said Evers, whose health officials have registered 2,267 positive tests and 68 deaths.Evers moved to delay the election unilaterally after the Republican-majority state Senate and state Assembly ignored his repeated appeals for a postponement. Americans were put on notice Monday not to let up in the fight against the coronavirus, as a grim milestone of 10,000 deaths cast a pall over the first signs of optimism about the trajectory of the outbreak.The United States has emerged as one of the world’s worst-hit nations, with a steadily mounting number of fatalities and millions facing the possibility of economic ruin.Authorities began the week by telling frightened communities to brace for one of the worst periods yet in the crisis as the outbreak has not yet reached its peak.last_img read more


first_imgAdvertisement Transfers will be dramatically reduced this summer, says former Liverpool and Tottenham director of football, Damien Comolli Metro Sport ReporterMonday 20 Apr 2020 9:33 amShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link58Shares Damien Comolli cannot see many big transfers when the window does open (Picture: Getty Images)There will be a dramatic reduction in transfers and transfer fees due to the coronavirus pandemic, with clubs in perilous financial positions, believes former Liverpool and Tottenham director of football Damien Comolli.When and if the transfer window will next open is not clear, with football still paused due to the coronavirus, and Comolli is expecting the next window to be very different to what we are used to.With clubs struggling for funds, the Frenchman expects more loans and swap deals, while the days of huge transfer fees are over, for now.‘An agent was saying the other day only three clubs in the Premier League will be able to spend money,’ Comolli told Sky Sports News. ‘If that’s the case I think the transfer window will be very different.AdvertisementAdvertisementADVERTISEMENT‘We might see swaps, we might see loans and we are going to a see a massive decrease in transfer fees and activity – at least transfers involving money.‘The more this crisis goes on and the clubs are in a difficult situation financially, the first thing that will be impacted will be player remuneration and the second thing will be transfer fees.’There is currently an unresolved issue over player contracts that are due to expire on 30 June and if clubs will keep hold of those players if the season resumes and runs past that date.More: FootballRio Ferdinand urges Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop Manchester United starChelsea defender Fikayo Tomori reveals why he made U-turn over transfer deadline day moveMikel Arteta rates Thomas Partey’s chances of making his Arsenal debut vs Man CityComolli has no answers to these puzzles, but points out the difficulty surrounding the issue and predicts that fans will not be able to watch any live action until next year, ‘Sorry if I’m being dramatic but let’s assume the Premier League starts and suddenly (a player) catches the virus and then dies or gets severe lung damage and he can’t play football anymore, what’s going to happen?’ Comolli questioned.‘Is the player going to say my contract ended on June 30, you forced me to play?‘I think it’ll be very difficult not to finish the season for a lot of different reasons, one is financial but as an industry football has a duty to entertain.‘Now it is not the right thing to talk about it but we have a duty to fans, they want something else at night or during the day to think about, other than the virus and the issues. I think it’d be something positive.‘Personally I wouldn’t be surprised if we couldn’t play with any fans until the end of 2020.’MORE: Liverpool star Dejan Lovren drops transfer hint amid Arsenal linksMORE: RB Leipzig deny any contact from Liverpool over Timo Werner transferFollow Metro Sport across our social channels, on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.For more stories like this, check our sport page.center_img Advertisement Commentlast_img read more


first_imgHighlightsBlue Jays shortstop Freddy Galvis makes the play of the week (month?) with this barehanded catch.FREDDY?! HOW?! pic.twitter.com/vWn22IhyOC— Toronto Blue Jays (@BlueJays) April 20, 2019Rockies left fielder Raimel Tapia turns on the afterburners to complete this inside-the-park home run.🚨 INSIDE-THE-PARK HOME RUN 🚨 pic.twitter.com/5cLEPwRld4— MLB (@MLB) April 21, 2019What’s NextRed Sox (8-13) at Rays (14-7), 2:10 p.m. ET — Tyler Glasnow, who came over to the Rays in the Chris Archer trade last year, is off to one of the most surprising starts in baseball. While the right-hander looked overmatched and had control issues in his first two seasons with the Pirates, he has improved his control, with great results (4-0, 1.13 ERA, 0.88 WHIP). He’s one of the reasons the Rays sit atop the AL East. The Red Sox will counter with veteran David Price (1-1, 3.79 ERA). That two-run homer gave the Pirates a 3-1 lead in the fifth, and fans roared to get Tucker out for an encore. He emerged from the dugout, pumped his fists, patted his chest and pointed at the crowd.MORE: Watch ‘ChangeUp,’ a new MLB live whiparound show on DAZN“I was so excited to do it that I got out there and just was floored with emotion, man,” Tucker said afterward. “It was loud. People were screaming. It was really, really, really cool.”The game, which had been played under apocalyptic-looking storm clouds filled with lightning flashes, was delayed a short time later. After a lengthy delay, the game was called, giving the Pirates their fifth straight win.Pirates fans had already started celebrating their new hero. The 22-year-old Tucker, rated the organization’s No. 5 overall prospect by MLB.com, came out of the dugout during the rain delay to sign autographs and pose for photos.It’s been that kind of feel-good year so far for the first-place Pirates (12-6), who have a one-game lead over the Brewers in the NL Central. The pitching has been sensational, with Pirates starters boasting a 1.96 ERA, second only to Tampa Bay’s 1.89 mark. Jameson Taillon earned his first win of the season Saturday, going five innings and allowing only four hits and that one run.The offense has struggled, but three of the team’s top four outfielders, Gregory Polanco, Corey Dickerson and Lonnie Chisenhall, have played a combined four games this season. And center fielder Starling Marte (abdominal strain) was placed on the 10-day IL after colliding with shortstop Erik Gonzalez as the two chased a popup in Friday’s game.Gonzalez was placed on the 60-day IL with a fractured clavicle, opening the door for Tucker’s unexpected recall and MLB debut.He showed he was ready.Today was the best day of my life. My lifelong dream came true. Thank you to everyone who made today happen. Let’s go @Pirates pic.twitter.com/Wh4G0r9YZH— Cole Tucker (@cotuck) April 21, 2019Studs of the NightTwins left fielder Eddie Rosario went 5 for 9 with three home runs and five RBIs as Minnesota swept the Orioles in a doubleheader. Second baseman Jonathan Schoop had a pair of homer and four RBIs in the second game.Christian Yelich hit a pair of solo homers — extending his MLB-leading total to 13 — as the Brewers beat the Dodgers 5-0.Andrew Benintendi hit a second-inning grand slam and then drove in the winning run with a sacrifice fly in the ninth in Boston’s 6-5 victory over the Rays.First baseman Rowdy Tellez had three hits — including a homer — and three RBIs in five at-bats in Toronto’s 10-1 win over the Athletics.Duds of the NightAthletics right-hander Mike Fiers was shellacked by the Blue Jays, giving up six runs and nine hits — including two home runs — over 3 1/3 innings. His 8.28 ERA is the highest among MLB pitchers with 20-plus innings this year. Nationals ace Max Scherzer gave up six earned runs and 11 hits in 5 1/3 innings in a loss to the Marlins. When asked his thoughts before his MLB debut Saturday, Pirates shortstop Cole Tucker joked, “If I could run back and tell second-grade Cole Tucker that this is happening, he would freak out.”That young Cole Tucker would have been jumping for joy to see how his MLB debut ended. In his third career at-bat, Tucker drove a pitch from Giants starter Derek Holland 431 feet into the wind to almost dead center field for his first career home run and hit. last_img read more


first_img“When civility leads to death, revolting is the only logical reaction,” Kaepernick wrote on social media. “The cries for peace will rain down, and when they do, they will land on deaf ears, because your violence has brought this resistance.”We have the right to fight back! Rest in power George Floyd.”Violent demonstrations had spread across the country through Saturday. First, Goodell’s statement, which referenced the deaths of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor and Ahmaud Arbery: pic.twitter.com/rRUOPpWSpE— NFL (@NFL) May 30, 2020Followed by the Kaepernick responses:Where was this energy when @Kaepernick7 kneeled and peacefully protested?— Y🙃WN (@yawn_323) May 30, 2020Oh so now the NFL gets to cherry pick when they do and don’t care about black people 🙄 Kaep tried this the formal way and he was blacklisted— shawn 🧬 (@shawnwatsonjr) May 30, 2020pic.twitter.com/3LcHHvJiIf— 🧞‍♂The📚Liberal📚Guru, M.A.🧞‍♂ (@A_Smart_Liberal) May 30, 2020This is exactly what Kaepernick was protesting. Did y’all forget about that?— Harry (@Harry8__) May 30, 2020Will the NFL please lift its on-field kneeling ban?— Adam Rifkin 🐼 (@ifindkarma) May 30, 2020Save the bullshit— Kenny Stills (@KSTiLLS) May 30, 2020Where was this energy at years ago? pic.twitter.com/LgIXCVUt8R— Published Author (@Ter0me) May 30, 2020And so on.Kaepernick, who remains a free agent, voiced support this week for the violent protests over Floyd’s death at the knee of former police officer Derek Chauvin in Minneapolis.MORE: Eric Reid calls out VP Mike Pence for tweet about protests The NFL got instant feedback — and lots of it — Saturday after commissioner Roger Goodell commented on the most recent set of publicized police killings in the United States.Not surprisingly, the league wound up with heavy doses of Colin Kaepernick in its mentions, with many of the reactions in the vein of “You could have led the fight against police brutality and racial injustice four years ago, but instead you worked against peaceful protesters like Kaepernick.”last_img read more


first_img Shooting a score of 59 is the impossible dream for most golfers.England boys’ squad member Craig Passmore, however, is not your average golfer.And at the tender age of 17, Passmore has already exceeded his wildest golfing fantasy to record a stunning round of 58!“It was pretty insane,” remarked Passmore in what may go down as the understatement of the 2019 season.Picture the scene.Standing on the 18th fairway at the Players Club near Bristol, the young golfer from Devon knew that a birdie three at the final hole would give him that magical score of 59.No mean feat on a course with a par of 72.Inevitably, there was a buzz as a small crowd of fellow competitors and curious spectators from the clubhouse gathered behind the green eager to watch the drama unfold.Having played without fear all day, Passmore wasn’t about to change tactic now.The youngster pulled out a wedge, steadied himself, took aim at the pin – and promptly holed out from 45 yards to nail a 58!It’s no wonder that the student from South Gloucestershire and Stroud College lost his mind for a few seconds.“I just dropped the club and held my head in my hands!” confirmed Passmore as he reflected on the craziest round of his fledgling career.“My previous best score was a round of seven-under par. To then come in with a round that was 14-under par is surreal.“I have to say everyone at the course was really happy for me and the boys I know in the England set-up were also quick to pass on their congratulations on social media.“There were a few comments expressing disbelief – but I guess that was to be expected.”To put Passmore’s round into perspective it’s worth noting that it took nearly 50 years for any golfer on the European Tour to break the 60-barrier.Oliver Fisher was the ecstatic golfer who finally cracked the code – his 59 in the Portugal Masters at Vilamoura in 2018 coming after over 690,000 competitive rounds on the European Tour without a single score registered in the 50s.And let’s nail this now – the Codrington Course at the Players Club is no ‘gimme.’Off the medal tees it stretches to 6625 yards. For the purposes of the qualifying competition on that November day, Passmore used a combination of yellow and white tees – with the course still playing around 6200 yards long.The incredible thing was that in a round featuring nine birdies and three eagles it took a BOGEY to kickstart the scoring spree.Passmore explained: “It was just one of those days when almost everything went my way. I say almost because I bogeyed the fourth hole after a three-putt.“At that point I just decided to go for it. I only had 21 putts in my round which is ridiculous.“I couldn’t believe how it turned out.“Nine birdies and three eagles is mad.“After my bogey I immediately birdied the next two and then eagled the seventh by holing my second shot from 60 yards.“We were one of the last games out so by the time I came to the final hole there were a few people around the green including my coach Kelvin Aitken and a lot of the other competitors.“I knew a birdie would give me a 59. To then hole my second shot again from about 45 yards was unreal.”Out in 30 and back in 28, plus-two handicapper Passmore was justifiably thrilled.Passmore was still walking on air when he set off for the Justin Rose Telegraph Young Masters in Portugal.When he did land in the sunshine, Passmore was surprised to find that Rose was not only putting his name to the event, he was also there to encourage the competitors.Passmore finished a creditable fifth in the boys’ event but was able to take so much more than a decent finish away from his stint at Quinta Do Lago.“The week in Portugal at Justin Rose’s event was amazing,” said Passmore.“It was an experience I will never forget. For Justin himself to turn up and speak with all the players was brilliant.“I’m a huge admirer of his and was able to ask him lots of questions mostly about the mental side of the game.“He always seems so mentally strong on the course and keeps his focus and that’s something I’d like to develop.”Passmore has earned an England call-up for 2020 when he will compete in the European Boys’ team championships being held at Upsala Golf Club in Sweden in July.The following month, England will defend their Home International crown at Killarney Golf Club in Ireland.These team events figure high on Passmore’s list of priorities for the new year along with better showings in individual championships.He added: “I went into the 2019 season with no expectations. I had had a couple of poor years really and decided to try and relax and try and play a more natural game.“I made the quarter finals of the British Boys’ and I’d like to go further in 2020.“I should look at things like the Carris and other boys’ events too.“I’ve not been involved at England level before and that’s something I’m really looking forward to as I know the experience of these team events will help me develop.“The way the 2019 season has ended has given me plenty of encouragement for 2020.”Headline photograph credit: Leaderboard 2 Dec 2019 A round of 58? That’ll do for Pass marks! last_img read more