first_imgThey came with one thing in mind – a clean sweep of Gold, Silver and Bronze in the 200 metre sprint in their division but they missed this aim by a hair’s breath.The three 1- year-old students from Popondetta Primary school were not disappointed though as they still picked up the Gold and Silver medals through Kenis Koko and Abraham Torovi respectively while Lindsey Oki was just edged out by a stronger opponent from Jiwaka to steal ‘their’ Bronze medal.“We are very happy to be able to do this for our province. We came here not knowing what we were up against as it is our first time but we surprised ourselves as well when  nearly made a clean sweep” said Abraham for his mates. The official records they clocked have not been released but according to Rachael Yaga, their Team manager they did very well and are possible candidates for the Melanesian Athletics Championship in Fiji from the 13th to the 15th of next month.Caption:  From Left: Lindsey Oki, Kenis Koko and Abraham Torovilast_img read more


first_img“The other day, Vinicius Junior was flying a kite in São Gonçalo; today it is marked as the future of Real Madrid and the Brazilian national team.” With this entradilla, Luiz Felipe Castro presents his report in Tackle with the Madrid player, that this Christmas was in the humble neighborhood where he was born. Vini does not forget its origins or its philosophy, that Bold and Joy that Neymar coined in his stage at Santos and that the former Flamengo has been recorded. “I am this way and I will never lose my joy,” says the attacker to the magazine The smile always accompanies Vinicius, although he recognizes that sometimes this apparent fun conceals a high degree of nervousness. “I always seem to be calm, but I get very nervous inside. In my debut with Flamengo, for example, I was scared to death. I didn’t even want to touch the ball.”, reveals. Vinicius’s life has gone faster than his ID. His talent took him from the humble São Gonçalo and took him to Flamengo, where he used to play with boys two years older than him; debuted with the first team in May 2017, with 16 years, thus breaking the precocity barriers set by Neymar and Gabriel Jesús; days later he signed for Real Madrid for 45 million and his status escalated until he acquired popularity indexes little seen before in Brazil for a boy his age. “I let things happen naturally,” he says. With only 18 years he landed at Real Madrid and has lived in a ferris wheel. Lopetegui sent him to Castile to reach his “cooking point” and hardly counted on him; Solari hugged him to shake an apathetic and depressed Madrid and Vini he grabbed the challenge with determination until he was injured against Ajax; and with Zidane he is in the fight to gain a foothold (he is the 15th Real Madrid player in minutes, with 699 ’) although he has not yet met that version that excited the Bernabéu. In two seasons he has savored the honey of praise and the bitterness of criticism and mockery for its low definition. Vinicius already landed at Real Madrid warned about the pressure in a club where there are no grays. “Marcelo had already warned me: here, one day you are Pele; the other you don’t play anything,” he confesses. Vinicius, like any player of his generation, is connected to the networks. Everything comes to him, although he tries to isolate himself under his love of soccer video games: “I always have an eye on social networks, I control my account myself. The videogames? It’s nice to play with myself; I think I’m better at games than in real life. “, he jokes. After recharging batteries in São Gonçalo, Vinicius returned to Madrid the last week of December and faces optimistically this 2020 that starts this Saturday with the match against Getafe. The Brazilian is aware that, with Hazard injured, this must be his time.last_img read more


first_imgINDIAN WELLS, CALIFORNIA – MARCH 09: Naomi Osaka of Japan celebrates match point against Kristina Mladenovic of France during their women’s singles second round match on day six of the BNP Paribas Open at the Indian Wells Tennis Garden on March 09, 2019 in Indian Wells, California. Clive Brunskill/Getty Images/AFPWorld number one Naomi Osaka on Saturday launched her Indian Wells title defense with a 6-3, 6-4 victory over 65th-ranked Kristina Mladenovic of France.Osaka, whose second straight Grand Slam title at the Australian Open in January propelled her to the top of the rankings, avenged a loss to Mladenovic in Dubai last month in her first match since she lifted the trophy in Melbourne.ADVERTISEMENT Rogue cops marked as Gamboa’s targets in his appointment as PNP chief Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Gretchen Barretto’s daughter Dominique graduates magna cum laude from California college NBA fines Thunder’s Paul George $25K for ripping referees Japeth Aguilar wins 1st PBA Finals MVP award for Ginebra It wasn’t all smooth sailing as Osaka was broken when serving for the match at 5-2 in the second.After Mladenovic held serve to narrow the deficit to 5-4, the Japanese player faced another break point before wrapping up the match after one hour and 21 minutes.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGolden State Warriors sign Lee to multiyear contract, bring back ChrissSPORTSCoronation night?SPORTSThirdy Ravena gets‍‍‍ offers from Asia, Australian ball clubs“I’ve never been a defending champion before — that’s new and I was really nervous,” said Osaka, whose first WTA title at Indian Wells last year launched a 2018 campaign that would eventually include her first Grand Slam crown at the US Open.Osaka next faces Danielle Collins, the 25th-seeded American who beat Belgian Kirsten Flipkens, 6-4, 6-1. View commentscenter_img Ginebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup title MOST READ Eugenie Bouchard’s bid for Australian Open spot ends in qualifying Will you be the first P16 Billion Powerball jackpot winner from the Philippines? Ginebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup title Nadine Lustre’s phone stolen in Brazil LATEST STORIES Tom Brady most dominant player in AFC championship historylast_img read more


first_imgRep. Domah receives the symbolic key of the district from a proxy of former Rep. DunahRoger Domah, the newly-elected Representative of Nimba County Electoral District #7, has promised to complete all public projects his predecessor did not complete until his tenure expired.Rep. Domah, who spoke in Saclepea on Saturday, March 10, at a well attended reconciliation conference organized by his office, also assured the residents that he would complete any of the projects his predecessor had initiated.“Any project [that] government money was used for in the district will be completed by my administration while at the same time we embark on new ones,” Domah declared.He spoke against a typical Liberian tendency that allow any new and in-coming government to abandon state-funded projects to the detriment of public resources. Rather, said government tends to reinvent another project to be funded by the same taxpayers’ money.Rep Domah (far right) with other representatives and local leaders unveiling the keyDomah called on the citizens to remain united and work together so as to complete any of the public projects his predecessor, Worlea Saywah Dunah, did not complete.“Even though I have my own initiatives that the citizens would point to in the future, let us first complete the incomplete ones to safeguard public funds,” he said.He promised to make his leadership inclusive, thereby calling on his supporters and the citizens in general to reconcile, whatever the differences, to live and work  in peace and unity.“I am appealing to everyone of you to come together as one body, so we can move our development agenda forward, because this is no time to campaign,” Domah said.He said that nobody in the 2017 October legislative race was more qualified or had better ideas than the rest of the contestants; but if they come together they can make the district better again since the election was over.“No matter what tribe you speak, which religion you belong to and which party one voted for, my heart remains freely open to all, because I am here to embrace everyone so that we can work together,” the Representative said.“District #7 is centrally located, whatever we do here can easily spread to the rest of the County and if we come together and put our differences aside, Nimba County will follow suit,” he said.Domah’s victory in the October 2017 legislative election was challenged by one of the contestants,  Evan Koah, over alleged fraud. However the Supreme Court ruled in Domah’s favor.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more


first_imgFearing for their lives and those of their children, residents in two communities, along the West Bank of Demerara (WBD), are concerned over leaning electrical power poles in the area. The residents, who live at Vriesland and La Retraite, told Guyana Times that they have made repeated reports to the Guyana Power and Light (GPL) Inc.The pole that poses a danger to Vriesland, WBDThey, however, observed that their complaints were being ignored, and expressed that the prolonged situation was a worrying one, as the power lines could snap at any moment which would cause even more danger.This publication obtained photographs of the leaning power lines at the section of La Retraite that faces the river where five poles are leaning, with some so low that some residents can nearly reach the wooden supports.“I don’t want no post fall and me get shock. People here want the post fix, but them ain’t bothering with we,” a mother of one explained.She added that some time last year when the poles were beginning to lean, a GPL crew came and fixed one. Her contention is that they should have rectified the other leaning poles.Meanwhile, this newspaper also got a photograph of a leaning pole in a yard at Vriesland and residents pointed out that this one has been rotting for a while. It was noted that several houses on a few plots of land are fed from this single pole and according to the occupants, their complaints to GPL were similarly being ignored.One of five leaning poles in the waterfront area of La RetraiteOne sugar worker from the community noted that he and other persons nearby have been making repeated reports to the power company so that it would fix the problem but to no avail. He revealed that the post, which is leaning on the fence of one family’s yard, was reported since November 2017, but the situation remained unchanged. The sugar worker indicated that some time ago, he nailed a board onto the post in an attempt to alleviate the situation.Other residents told Guyana Times that many children have to traverse the track to attend school, and expressed worry that damage, fire or electrocution could occur if the pole snapped causing the wires to be ripped from the houses.The residents in both Vriesland and La Retraite are hopeful that the power company can rectify the months-old issue.last_img read more


first_imgDawson Creek RCMP are searching for a vehicle involved in a hit and run on Friday.Police say an older model burgundy four-door vehicle hit a pickup truck that was in front of it at a drive-thru off of 8 St. in the city.The incident occurred sometime between 11:45 a.m. and 12:10 p.m.- Advertisement -They say they have obtained a partial vehicle licence plate number, but have not released it at this time.Anyone with information in regards to this incident is asked to contact the Dawson Creek RCMP detachment at 250-784-3700 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.last_img read more


first_imgLest we forget, On Remembrance Day, Canadians come together to honour our fellow countrymen and women who have sacrificed for the sake of our freedom and way of life. This year, Remembrance Day will also mark a violent act that shocked a nation.The terrorist attack on Parliament Hill less than a month ago shook the entire country, where one soldier was murdered before the gunman attacked the symbol of our democracy.Corporal Nathan Cirillo’s murder in the shadow of our Canada’s War Memorial is an all too clear reminder that the price of freedom is eternal vigilance.- Advertisement -The murders of Corporal Cirillo and Warrant Officer Patrice Vincent, who was targeted by a radical Islamic extremist in Quebec, were killed because they chose to serve our country. They wore the uniform, just like millions of Canadians have done since our nation was founded. The terrorists targeted the uniforms of our servicemen and women; clear symbols of the principles we stand for, and what Canadians have fought for throughout our history.Remembrance Day is about honouring the memory of our fallen soldiers, and also supporting our veterans who are working to pass their legacy to younger generations. Our Government is working hard to assist our veterans in many ways and we will continue to do so by funding for local branches of the Royal Canadian Legion to engage with youth and share their experiences, adding 600 points of service for veterans for better access to programs and funding, and providing more funds for the burial program. We are continuing our efforts to improve services that benefit Canada’s veterans.This November 11, I will be remembering and saying thank you in Prince George. I hope to see many of you there. On behalf of Prime Minister Stephen Harper and our Conservative Government, I want to thank those who have served, and those who continue to serve our great country.Advertisementlast_img read more


first_img Mario Mandzukic Manchester United target Mario Mandzukic is undergoing a medical ahead of his proposed move from Atletico Madrid to Juventus, the Serie A champions have announced.The 29-year-old Croatia striker is set to join the Italian giants with reports suggesting the deal is worth 25million euros and will see him sign a four-year contract.A statement from Juventus read: “Mario Mandzukic is this morning undergoing a routine medical ahead of his proposed transfer to Juventus from Atletico Madrid.“The 29-year-old forward will take his first tests at the city’s Clinica Fornaca di Sessant, before completing the procedure at the Istituto di Medicina dello Sport medical centre.”Mandzukic joined Atletico last summer from Bayern Munich and scored 20 goals in 43 games for the Spanish side.Juve are looking to strengthen their attacking line with Argentinian forward Carlos Tevez expected to leave the club this summer.Tevez, Juve’s top scorer in the past two seasons, is under contract with Juve for another year but is keen to return home to Argentina, with former club Boca Juniors keen to acquire his services.Juve won the domestic double – Serie A and Coppa Italia – for the first time since 1995 under first-year coach Massimiliano Allegri last season and also reached the Champions League final before losing 3-1 to Barcelona. 1last_img read more


first_img1 Chelsea and Manchester United look set to lose out to Barcelona in the pursuit to sign Arda Turan.The Atletico Madrid midfielder is reported to have agreed a five-year deal with the Catalan club for a fee of around £24m, plus £5m in add-ons.Chelsea and United had both registered bids to Atletico but, according to Marca, his agent has confirmed the Turkish international prefers a move to the Nou Camp.The only potential snag in the deal is Barca’s current transfer window ban, meaning Turan cannot be registered until January when the sanction expires but the European champions are still confident of completing the move.Turan joined Atletico from Galatasaray in 2011 and played a key part in the club’s La Liga success and run to the Champions League final in the 2013/14 season. Arda Turan last_img read more


first_imgA 36 year old man who put his fists up to Gardai after they confronted him about his English-registered jeep has been ordered to pay €150 to charity.Letterkenny court.Martin Ward was stopped by Gardai at Academy Court in Letterkenny on March 19th. Letterkenny District Court was told that Ward, of 49 Balymacool Woods, Letterkenny, became aggressive when stopped.He put up his fists and told Gardai “You are not f******* seizing this jeep. I’m not giving you no key.”Gardai then seized the Isuzu jeep under Section 140 of the Finance Act and arrested Ward for being threatening and abusive in a public place.Solicitor Patsy Gallagher said his client appreciated now that things got out of hand and that he acted inappropriately.Judge Paul Kelly ordered Ward to pay €150 to Friends of Letterkenny General Hospital.MAN PUT FISTS UP TO GARDAI WHEN CONFRONTED OVER ENGLISH-REGISTERED JEEP was last modified: April 29th, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:donegalGardaijeepLetterkenny CourtMARTIN WARDseizedlast_img read more